I have high chloride levels. What could be casuing this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

On September 11, 2014, I went to my doctor because i was having pain in my claves. Turns out there were no blood clots (I got an ultasound done at the ER to confirm this).

They did bloodwork at the office, and it turns out that my chloride levels are 108 mmol/L (the normaml range for an adult is 98-107 mmol/L).

Does it mean i have an electrolyte inbalance? And if so, how? What causes this?

3 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Do you still get the pain?

It's impossible to comment on if you have a true electrolyte imballance without your other results. However if you'd say been experiencing diarrhoea or vomiting then they could have lowered your potassium / sodium causing cramps in your legs and caused a raised chloride level as the body tries to compensate for the osmolarity changes.

• Posted

I don't have the pain anymore biggrin

The other results are normal- the Urea Nitrogen, Creatinine, Sodium(Na), Potassium(K), Carbon Dioxide(CO2), and Calcium(Ca) are all normal.

• Posted

In which case, don't worry about it :D

The "Normal" ranges are only "normal" for 95% of people. You're only very slightly outside the normal range. If you were up at 110 or above and / or symptomatic I'd be more inclined to investigate further, but as is... good luck and good luck with your other discussion thread smile.

• Posted

Thanks!! I'll try not to look too much into it, but I can always ask my doctor wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.