I have hyperthyroidism, taking different medicines to be cured...

Posted , 6 users are following.

At first I've entrusted my doctor but later on I refuse to take those medicines he recomended me because my mind was hoping that there is a certain medicine that can cure this  but then again there goes my disappointment...After that I was offered to take many food supplement, but they're really expensive for me and most of the time I can't afford... Is there anybody who knew an effective way to get rid of it so I won't be wasting time and money...Please someone help me.. 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi I had Hyperthyroidism and was prescribed Carbimazole. After taking medication for a year and looking after my health and anxieties I was able to stop. I had a lot of stress prior to the hyperthyroidism.   My routine for that year included swimming 3 times a week and running for half an hour, some yoga and breathing exercises.  It is not for everyone you need to take advice on what may be beneficial for your specific case.  Good luck
    • Posted

Such a hard and long process ha, but I can't do these things because I easily got tired and felt so hard to breath most of the time and you know I'm really frustated about myself because there are many exercise routine before that I'm doing but now I'm not able to do them...
  • Posted

I was on Methimazole 10 mg once a day for 2 years.  This immediately brought 2 out of 3 of my thyroid blood tests in the normal range but my thyroid stimulating hormone test (TSH) remained essentially at 0.  Then I read a research article by Dr.Salvatore Benvenga of Italy showing that the addition of a supplement L-Carnitine greatly improved outcomes in people who had hyperthyroidism so I tried it.  Some improvement.  Then I tried different carnitines and the one that worked the best was Acetyl-L-Carnitine 500 to 1,000 mg as well as the addition of Vitamin D.  Those had the most impact on my recovery. 
    • Posted

Linda is it ok to take those amino acids at the same time you take you thyroid meds or should you take them a few hours after?
    • Posted

Renee, I took them together.  The acetyl-L-Carnitine especially helps the methimazole (I don't know how it works with PTU because I was on Methimazole) to get into the cell nucleus.  Watch your body and note any symptoms if you have them.  I felt fine on them especially when my TSH was extremely low but when it rose up to 2.7, then I got palpitations and had to discontinue them.
    • Posted

This is my first time to heard about L-carnatine can help to cure hyperthyroidism..thanks a lot..
  • Posted

First I trusted and took Methimazole as prescribed, then I distrusted and stopped it.  Then I gave in to pressure and took Methimazole as prescribed by a different endocrinologist.  As things went from bad to worse, i learned to decrease the dose slightly, yet remaining constant for the 4 weeks preceding the next blood draw.  My TSH improved and I was able to wean myself off of the Methimazole completely about 3 years after my initial diagnosis.

My symptoms were horrible after that--like they were while taking the Methimazole--so I went to the third endocrinologist with no direct help, but with a better understanding:  In my case I had both Graves' and Hashimoto's antibodies--one type stimulating the thyroid and the other destroying it.

I tried to return to Endo #2 but he refused to take me because I had gone elsewhere for a second opinion.

I had a letter from Endo #3 that I could take to my primary care physician, with the idea that he could run the tests and the Endo could interpret the results and see whether or not I should have treatment of one type or the other.  My PCP looked at the results of my previous test and the letter, and determined that I was not "the textbook case" but agreed that I needed thyroid supplementation.  I got a prescription for L-T3 which helped immensely, especially if I started with 1/8 the smallest available tablet. I took it for several months, gradually increasing the amount until L-T4 (Levothyroxine) was added to it.  The next blood test showed I had practically zero TSH again and I was referred to Endo #4.  I had to go off both the thyroid supplements.  My symptoms returned.

I felt horrible again until my PCP prescribed Wellbutrin which helped me feel good again.  I also learned about the Acetyl-L-Carnitine which helped me a little with some symptoms and seems to have kept my TSH from dropping too much.

Other than that, I take Methyl B-12, Methylfolate, calcium-magnesium-zinc, fish oil, flaxseed oil, vitamin D, Biotin, and an occasional Brazil nut for selenium.

I also try to stay somewhat active and with some weight bearing exercise. 

I hope that gives you some ideas and that you get the help you need.  Happy Easter!

• Posted

Just like you I'm always filled of disappointments but I know the time will come that it will be cured because theres GOD and I believe in him so much..GODBLESS!
    • Posted

Yes, I also believe in God and have seen his Hand in coming to the point I am at today, in relative good health.  I have prayed and received answers and guidance.  May God bless you, also.
  • Posted

Hi Nick, my daughter's thyroid went overactive some years ago and she was prescribed carbimazole, and the consultant wanted her to continue taking this until her thyroid went underactive, and then re- treat her for that, and she refused to continue taking the tablets as suggested as she hated the feeling of it going underactive, so self medicated, which worked after a few months and it rebalanced itself again and she was able to stop all meds. Reducing stress and having a healthy diet helped a lot.  What homework I've done says that zinc, magnesium, selenium and copper are deficient in the overactive thyroid.  Brazil nuts and a lot of different sea foods contain selenium, and beef and lamb contain zinc for instance. Magnesium is vital in every organ and system in the body, (swiss chard, spinach, kale, nuts and seeds .....) there are numerous and many serious symptoms of deficiency ,  and these supplements are quite cheap.  Other natural food sources of these minerals can be found on many sites on the internet and it wont take too long to find out.  Vit A B D and E are also important.  Magnesium will also reduce high blood pressure, stress, help sleep, anxiety, muscle cramps, and reduce palpitations for instance.  Also avoiding sugar and gluten will also help a great deal, as the overactivity also feeds on these.  also, if you have to take antibiotics, take a probiotic as well, as I believe wiping out healthy bacteria in the gut can cause the immune system to reduce in effectiveness or break down entirely.
    • Posted

That's a really good explanation leigh25499 thanks, all your comments were pretty nice and I'll try to cure this using your advices, GODBLESS TAKE CARE!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.