I have Iron deficiency anaemia as well as RA and COPD ....

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello people,

I've found this Forum very helpful....so I'm asking....Does anyone else have these 3 conditions?

What cause was diagnosed for the Iron deficiency? and....can anyone tell me how to differentiate between the breathlessness associated with COPD and the breathlessness caused by the Anaemia ?

At the moment I am feeling very tired and yet frustrated by the lack of energy I am experiencing right now.

As far as treatment goes I am currently taking 10mgs Prednisolone, Omeprazole 20mgs, Amilodipine 5mgs Lisoprinol 5mgs Tramadol 50mgs and Paracetamol 1gm. (Have tried Sulphasalasine, Plaquenil, Leflunomide and the latest Methotrexate...none have helped the RA ll have caused problems) Also have Ventolin and Becotide inhalers.

Does anyone know of any 'tricks' for operating the inhalers when their hands are stiff and painful?

I really would appreciate any help or comments...this forum is brilliant for relieving that awful feeling of 'being alone' with your problems...so thankyou everyone who contributes......

Wishing you all well out there........

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Wow, wish I could help you Catherine, but I have no answers for you.  Hopefully someone else on this forum can help.  I do understand about not being able to use your hands.   Good Luck!
  • Posted

I suppose with anemia you become lethargic, then might have shortness of breath because your body is not in good conditon. 

Why is it that you're not on a biologic for the RA? You need to be on a DMARD to prevent further joint destruction. Doesn't appear that you are on one now.

Try a pair of pliers to hold the inhaler. Not sure if that will help. Depends on the type of device.

• Posted

Hi Catherine

You should have a chat to NRAS http://www.nras.org.uk/

They are a UK rheumatoid arthritis charity and would be able to advise you re your inhaler. Hopefully getting a proper dose of your COPD meds will help to make you feel less breathless.

• Posted

Hi, Catherine,

I have RA and COPD - my borderline anemia is due to MTX, so it's really not the same type of anemia your have.

I take Spiriva [inhaler]  for the COPD which is so much easier to handle with stiff hands. When I do have to take Ventolin and/or Advair  [I also have Asthma] it's tricky to handle. Wish they made it the way Spiriva is made. Is it possible your pulmonologist will switch you over to Spiriva? For me it works fine.

Not to derail your topic:  but have you noticed that the Ventolin and Advair [cortisone] helps with RA pain around the torso? I have noticed this. But I stay away from the Ventolin and Advair unless I absolutely need them because, when I'm done with an Asthma episode, I get cortisone rebound. That is, the pain in my torso area, from the RA, comes back, worse.

While this forum won't allow me to post the link of another great forum, if you go to Google and enter the following search terms in the search engine, it should lead you to a great forum at Inspire-dot-com.

Enter:

Inspire

Rheumatoid

Arthritis

Connect

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.