I have just been diagnosed with Atrial Flutter.

Posted , 12 users are following.

Any one else with the same diagnosis !!!

What are you taking !!!

Do you have any side effects from the drugs or are you okay !!!

Regards Ken.

1 like, 44 replies

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ken,

Do a search on the discussions for Atrial fibrillation and Bisoprolol and you will get a lot of our problems. Of course no one posts on successful treatments:-)

• Posted

Ken, I was diagnosed with AF in November 2011 but after a few 'episodes' this diagnosis changed to paroxysmal AF (ie comes and goes). I was given Flecainide and Warfarin and am not aware of any side effects. After one episode in 2012 I was prescribed Bisoprolol (though I'm not convinced it was necessary). I haven't had any further episodes since Jan 2013 so the drugs must be working! I do have moments of tiredness during the day which some people attribute to Bisoprolol though I tend to think its probably getting up early to play golf! Overall nothing to complain about.
    • Posted

I was told I had atrial fibrillation some 7 years ago and was on Warfarin, Tildiem300 and occasionally digoxin.  A few months ago I was in hospital with 155 bpm pulse and after the usual ecg I am told I have A.Flutter and now been prescribed Flecanide.  Your post has given me some hope that this Flecanide will help. I tried the beta blocker Bisoprolol recently but had to give up as it nearly stopped me breathing!  Hated that med and would not want to take it again.
  • Posted

I have written a few comments on here but not really learnt much. My husband has atrial fibrillation. He has itall the time but never has any symptoms. I think the stress of being diagnosed with it and not getting any proper feedback has stressed him out! They say he doesn't need to take anything as he has no other problems (previous heart problems, diabetes etc) so his risk of a stroke are less than 1% . What no one has explained tome though (my doctor can't talk about my husband's problems...data protection etc) is if he has constant a fib,(his heart has slightly enlarged due to the extra work it is doing) and when he plays squash his heart beats at 200bpm, then surely his heart will wear out due to it....won't it? He plays squash because they say he can, even though the consultant said 200bpm was worrying! I have given up because husband gets mad with me and my doctor advised me to back off. So I have backed off, if he wants to kill himself playing squash he can!
    • Posted

Hey Lynn, I have Afib and can tell you that, without some physical exercise, I would feel completely stressed out. I play volleyball and I'm sure my heart rate gets up there, but part of the psychological reaction to this diagnosis has been to feel weak and afraid, without answers or any certainties, and the exercise gives me back a sense of control and fitness that I need in my life. It's also a great stress buster... Don't worry too much about your husband, he'll live longer when he's happy doing something he loves, I'm sure.
    • Posted

I agree totally with you Andrew, before my AF started a few months ago I was playing table tennis for about 4hrs a week - loved it, it was the highlight of my week for the buzz it gave me. Now I've managed 20mins in about 6 weeks because of awful episodes of AF brought on by exercise. But even that 20mins 2 days ago was just great and made me feel normal again. Yes it made me feel like my body was my own again not behaving in this uncontrolled, debilitating way. Just wish that it was longer than 20mins! One has to be sensible and not take unnecessary risks but exercise and doing something one enjoys are essential for sanity!! Cheers Maggie
    • Posted

I know this was written 3 years ago but I'm staggered your husband was told he doesn't need anything for his AFIB. 

He definately need to see a new Dr if he has episodes and urgently if he is  in AF all the time.

Stroke and blood clots are very common with untreated A

• Posted

Hope he is well insured and has a good pension to provide for you:-)

There are many other discussions on this site as I said to Ken

There is much information if you Google for it. You can set up a Google alert to get a weekly list of new information on line. The British Heart Foundation publish a series of booklets on about twenty cardiac conditions. They can also be downloaded in PDF form.

You should insist that your husband lets you accompany him to his doctor and consultants appointments. I knew two Guys who played squash with undiagnosed cardiac conditions who died relatively young.

A condensed article from a web site to show him:

The circumstances surrounding 60 sudden deaths (59 men, one woman) associated with squash playing are described. The mean age (SD) of those who died was 46 (10.3) years (range 22-66 years). Necropsy reports were available in 51. The certified cause of death was coronary artery disease in 51 cases, valvular heart disease in four, cardiac arrhythmia in two cases, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in one case. There were only two deaths from non-cardiac causes. Forty five of those who died had reported prodromal symptoms, the most common of which was chest pain, and 22 were known to have had at least one medical condition related to the cardiovascular system during life, the most common of which was systemic hypertension (14 subjects). Those dying from coronary artery disease had a high frequency of risk factors. Some of these deaths might have been prevented by appropriate counselling of players after prospective medical screening, which would have detected most of the patients with overt cardiovascular disease and some of those with subclinical coronary artery disease.

• Posted

Thank you Derek. Very much! When I even mentioned the problem i was made to feel like a wicked scaremonger and he wishes it had never been diagnosed ( by accident due to a chest infection last winter). I have googled it but it doesn't talk about his condition (that is permanent a fib that doesn't have symptoms and that doesn't need treatment). I have had enough of the abuse that I get which is making me very depressed...and he is depressed too. We just now are so stressed that we've split up, it was just unbearable!
  • Posted

Hi Ken I was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter in September last year and prescribed Warfarin in various doses plus 5mg Bisoprolol plus 40mg Simvastatin for my high cholesterol. I have had a few side effects but don't know for sure which medication may be causing this. I am on a waiting list for an Ablation but at the moment I am not sure if I should go ahead with this as I have not had a reoccurrence of AF and at my age (78) I am wondering if it is the best thing for me. I play golf four times a week without any real problems. It is interesting to note that I was originally diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation at first but changed later to Atrial Flutter. My only real problem at the moment is getting a good nights sleep. My other observation regarding medication is the wide variations between those prescribed for other AF sufferers. If you trawl through these forums you will see what I mean, which can be confusing. Perhaps you could mention this to your GP and see what response you get. Regards Derek (Joiner)
  • Posted

Thanks Derek for the information.

I am seeing my GP this coming week, so it will be interesting to see what he prescribes for me. So far I have had no indication that anything was wrong, but had last week an ECG as I volunteered for a trial and my AF was then discovered.

I am well armed as my wife is on most of the druggs that have been discussed, gradually I have with her GP and Cardiologist managed to get rid of some or reduce the dosage.

Regards Ken.

• Posted

Hi Derek the joiner, can you tell me why you have trouble getting a good nights sleep? Do you know? Is it your condition, the drugs or the stress of it? Lynn
  • Posted

Hi Lynn - One thing I am certain of Lynn is that before I was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter in September last year I had no sleep problems whatsoever. The causes are somewhat confusing but after reading about the side effects of drugs on various Forums, I feel it is the medication that is to blame. I am not stressed out and not having had a recurring AF incident, I have reached the conclusion that it must be the medication. I am trying to get my GP to have a rethink about it as my sleep pattern is steadily getting worse. Regards Derek
    • Posted

Hi Derek,

I was diagnosed with AF (not sure the difference between AF and Atrial Flutter? - my heart rate doesn't go that high  but feel dreadful with nausea/palpitations/dizziness) a couple of months ago and after various changes am now on aspirin, Bisoprolol 7.5mg, and Atorovastatin 40mg - have several side effects and still have episodes of AF. I'm beginning to feel the side effects are worse than the AF symptoms! and am tempted to ask my Cardiologist to start reducing my doses. Concerning your sleep problem, Derek, I researched magnesium - most people are deficient and this can cause heart rhythm problems - I take a supplement now and this also helps sleep patterns. May help you?

• Posted

Hi Maggie34838

If You want to find out more about the difference between AF and Atrial Flutter you might find the following helpful although a bit technical- http://abcnews.go.com/Health/HeartRhythmScreening/print?id=5213044 or http://www.bostonscientific.com/lifebeat-online/heart-smart/atrial-arrhythmias.html

Regarding my side effects from Bisoprolol and Warfarin I have reduced my Bisoprolol from 5mg to 2.5mg and so far I have not had any problems with my blood pressure or another episode of Atrial Flutter. I will bear in mind your comments about magnesium. Last September I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation when it first occured but it was later that my consultant changed this to Atrial Flutter. He based this on my ECG results which showed a different pattern on the printout when compared with Atrial Fibrillation. I found the above references a big help in understanding these differences. Hope it helps you. Regards Derek (joiner) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.