I have just been diagnosed with gallstones and I'm worried. I need a procedure to remove them.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I went to hospital today and had an ultrasound scan done. This showed that I have gallstones. I previously went to A&E in October with severe abdominal pain. I had blood testsdone which showed I had high LFT results. I had a CT scan and stayed in hospital overnight but was discharged the next day as the pain had settled down. The CT scan did not show anything abnormal. I had another blood test in November as an outpatient and my LFT results were back to normal. Last week I had a recurrence of the severe abdominal pain and had to go to hospital again. I had blood taken and my LFTs were high again. The doctors did not seem to know what was causing my high LFTs and I was sent home with a codeine prescription for the pain. Ultrasound was scheduled for today and I now have a diagnosis of gallstones. The doctor I saw said the gallstones are causing the pain and high LFTs. I am scheduled to have them removed with an ERCP in a few weeks. I have looked up the procedure online and it sounds quite scary. I will need to be sedated and have an endoscopy, during which the surgeon will attempt to remove the gallstones. Has anyone here had gallstones before or had an ERCP to remove them? Also the doctor I saw said I am unlucky to have gallstones as they are usually diagnosed in people over 40 and they are more common in women than men. I'm a 26 year old male with no other health issues.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

When I finally found tha Galstones were the source of my pain I was happy to have my AGB removed. It was a relief and no,more go attacks.
  • Posted

I just recently was diagnosed with gallstones but my dr removed my gallbladder. I know the pain is quite excruciating. I would get a second opinion on removing just the gallstones or gallbladder. I had an MRI which the dr could see much clearly the problem. Age doesn't matter my friends son just had his removed and he's 14. I wish you the best of luck. Keep me updated how everything goes.

• Posted

My surgery went very well had very little,difficulty. Rest is a positive for a few day more for others. I was out walkin and had Physio in pool after insidious was better to help muscles. A special diet no fatty or fried foods and also I had a prescription for evzimes to help break up foods. Since GB gone it's job was to help break down food it takes time for the body to adjust.once you get gallstones it's a constant risk they will,come again and again and could cause pancretitis.,

sorry you had such a hard time 

• Posted

I'm not sure why he's doing an ERCP to remove stones, unless you have some stuck in the duct. He should be removing your gallbladder. From what I've gathered, once there's stones, chances are they will come back so removing them isn't a cure.

I was 30 when mine came out (about 2 months ago). I didn't have stones but mine was over-functioning. The say it's typically the 4 Fs - female, forty, fertile and fat. But as with almost anything, it can happen to anyone!

• Posted

Right they will come back and stones can cause pancrititis. It's was better in my case I was 19 years old when attacks started. Finally by 26 - gastrologist found the cause of the severe pain. I had stones that had progressed over the years blocking the bile duct.

ouch!!!

• Posted

Sorry to learn that you were in so much pain.  During the ERCP the doctor may be able to remove some of the gallstones, but probably won't be able to remove all of them.  Once your body starts producing stones, it will continue to do so.  Eventually, you may have to have your gallbladder removed, as a diseased and malfunctioning gallbladder stresses the entire digestive system, including the liver and pancreas.  

Instead of feeling unlucky, I suggest that you might be one of the lucky ones.  People over 40 who have their gallbladder removed can have a harder time bouncing back from the surgery. You are young and have a chance to get the surgery done and heal from it--and go on to live a much healther life!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.