I have just been diagnosed with vulvar lichen sclerosis.

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is the third autoimmune syndrome that I have developed since having a bone graft done after a molar was removed. The three are eczema, dry eye and now LS. the first two began within a week of the graft, the LS about a year later.

I am theorizing that my body may be rejecting the foreign material (it was Puros, a sterilized human cadaver graft )which in turn is causing the autoimmune response. I can deal with the eczema and dry eye, but having Lichen sclerosis is a nightmare!

Has anyone else out there had a similar procedure and onset of an autoimmune disorder?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

What are your options for treatment?  Does the graft area show infection on X-ray/scan? Are you powerless if it's rejection? I thought there were artificial bone materials to encourage regrowth and avoid just such situations. Did you know it was from human cadaver?  You are remarkably upbeat and cheerful.... I would start with taking olive leaf extract to cleanse and look up H2O2 therapy in relation to bone rejection. Human bone?  I am speechless. Sounds barbaric and INhuman
    • Posted

Yes, barbaric and absolutely disgusting. I was told that I wouldn't be able to have an implant after the extraction without it. I think that I would have had rejection no matter what material was used because of my being a non- secretor (I found out I was a non secretor after the graft procedure).

A biological dentist told me that I should have my graft area removed by am oral surgeon. Two different oral surgeons told me that they wouldn't be able to remove the entire graft area, some may be left in my jaw. The biological dentist also told me that I should have all of my root canals replaced with non toxic materials or have the teeth extracted.

Thanks for thinking that I sound upbeat!!

• Posted

I have OA and a lump of amalgam in my jawbone. Nhs surgeon failed to remove it, but sacrificed 3 good teeth. The mercury is actually at the surface less than a cm away from my facial lesion. I have tried for 7 years but they are all closed ranks and denied it was mercury related. Ihappened upon LP while reseárching. Finally, a female oral maxillary surgeon made the connection saying she saw it "all the time".  I have OA which was diagnosed a year after the (illegally)placed amalgam in root canals, forced through the tops into my jawbone 2" from the brain.  This is catastrophic and can cause all sorts of disruption to the brain. The rash has been constant up and down for these 7 years. Ihave found articles by the World Health Organisation and many USA universities concurring on the devastating effects of mercury in the mouth/jawbones.  LP is just one. Inflammatory cytokines found in OA attributable to the mercury toxicity. It is a minefield. I'd like to know how many women with OA, otherwise healthy, were diagnosed subsequent to mercury fillings etc. 4-7mg can kill. I have a huge gaping hole in upper jawbone with a festering facial eruption for 7years. We should exchange pics as I will go,public on this scandal.  Even dermatology were complicit, legal clerks taking notes, and lab returned "insufficient tissue collected for diagnosis"!!   It is too much information for here, but the mental implications of mercury so near the brain, able to pass the blood brain barrier, is terrifying and my sleep is chaotic, as I act as an electrical conduit! Funny if it weren't so serious.  I urge all with any form of metal fillings, implants etc to view autoimmune illness as very likely to be in some way connected. The research is damning. I see my THR as directly related to mercury toxicity. OA is a life sentence..
  • Posted

I was cut off!  Would a woman inflict that on a patient I wonder. It has similarities to BSE when cattle were fed animal protein and look what happened to them.  You poor poor thing. That surely wasn't meant to be. You must be living in anticipation of the next natural reaction to an unnatural invasion.... Too awful to contemplate
  • Posted

Haven't had a graft done, but I question some surgical procedures that I did have which preceded my diagnosis for LS by just a few weeks, It was the vulvar kind too. Then I had a mole removed from my abdomen, it went to the lab and came back as LS. From there on, the Lichen S. went all over my torso, tummy, breasts and has now reached my armpits, and shoulders. The back section of my thighs have been terribly affected and at times I have to sit on ice packs to cool off the burning. The skin underneath my arms and thighs have shrivelled like someone who was burnt in a fire. It is absolutely crazy. It calms down for a bit and then flares. No life at all living with this. I hope that you never reach this poing. Good luch and hope you can find someone to treat you.
    • Posted

Selina, your LS situation sounds unbearable! I've never heard of it being all over your body. Would you mind telling me what type of surgical procedures you had?
    • Posted

No Problem. Hemorrhoid removal, biopsy for mole, and biopsy for small growth (benign) in vulvar area.
  • Posted

Yes, I have a number of autoimmune issues as well. But I do not pinpoint anything that set them off. Mine are dry eye, gum, crohns, diabetes and LS. The LS started about 15 years of so ago. Crohns about ten years ago. So LS was probably one of the earlier ones.
    • Posted

I have dry eyes too, seeing Opthamologist on a regular basis, have diverticulitis, osteo-arthritis, now diagnosed with Erythemia Multiforme on top of the LS. Makes me wonder if it's not all connected in some way. I just wish that someone could find out what causes LS. Why do small children have it? Why are some born with it? and why aren't doctors more informed about it because most don't recognize it and patients get misdiagnosed. I have seen my dermatologist this week and got another ointment made up. It is helping with itch....not internal just for external blistering and itching. Hope it works.

• Posted

Btw, you all need to take a look at dental amalgam postings on here which associate LP with mercury.  See if you all have mercury in your mouths from silver fillings.  Some times it takes years to show as symptoms such as yours but it causes untold amounts of illnesses going undiagnosed.  Worse, because it passes the blood brain barrier, and is so close to the brain, can have other repercussions affecting your mental health. (Mad hatters' disease, those Japanese cats going mental from the mercury in he harbour fish, blah blah ).  See Munro Hall in "You're Putting What in My Mouth"?  Website, it's recent and devastating. Outlawed in civilised Scandinavian countries, mercury is an insidious poison linked to autism and a myriad other mystery conditions. It can kill a man in minute quantities. It's a huge cover up, began in the US as they are litigious a country and the sums involved make the Greek debt look like shrapnel (excuse the pun)
  • Posted

I actually had not thought about this until just reading your post but I was not diagnosed until after having my son in 2005. However, now that I think about it I had symptoms prior to that, but they intensified after the birth. I had a cage fusion with 2 titanium cylinders implanted in my lower back. Now it makes we wonder if that is when my immune system could no longer fight off the LS and it started slowly and was impacted by the hormonal change during pregnancy and child birth.
    • Posted

Forgot to mention that the fusion was in 2000 almost exactly 5 years prior to my sons birth. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.