I have just had aTrans anal rectocele repair

Posted , 2 users are following.

On Monday I have had a Transanal rectocele repair. This was to be on a day surgery coming out later on that evening.  The surgery actually takes about 1 hour and they give you about 3/4 hours recovery then home.  Unfortunately after the op I could not pass urine so I was unable to leave that night. I was transfered to another ward. All of Tuesday I could not pass urine and was holding 850 voids (its usually 100 - 200). I was given a catheter to empty the urine. So my anal surgery was aching and sore with packing in and my urether was sore from having a catheter. I got a temperature and a massive headache where my eyes literally went red ( apparently this is from General anasthetic). Tuesday evening they decided to take the catheter out. Wednesday I started peeing (a little).  I convinced the Dr to let me home so that I may have privacy to pee and I had only packed for a day stay not any longer. I am home now peeing okish, but the pooing is so painful and although I expected blood from the op it is quite scary, but the smell from the packing is unbearable and there is nothing you can do until you pass that first poo..  I am on fybojel and pain relief.  I am now on day 5 and I have just managed to poo. Not a lot but I have. As I was in the shower I also noticed that one of my vagina lips is slightly higher than the other ( I know it was not like it before).  I am hoping that this will settle. I will write next week to let you know what a difference I feel.  But I am very sore ( which I expected). I am feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment and wondering if it was all worth it. Is this what is expected on any transanal repair, and when is it safe to start pelvic floor excercises? I do not see my consultant for 6 weeks so I am left in limbo really.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Valerie,

I am very sorry to hear of your sufferings. Although I have not had your operation done, I have some tips that might apply to you:

1. Try somee zinc oxide in the form of calmoseptine which has menthol to soothe the area down there as well. Calmoseptine can be bought at almost any local drugstore and can be bought online too.

2. Try squatting when going on the toilet instead of sitting. This is a much  helathier position and the poop sometimes will just slide out,  no pushing or straining involved.

3. I would definately take a fiber supplement, specifically metamucil  is what I take evveryday,  in ordr to allow your stools to be soft and to allow them to pass thorugh easily. THis being said, with any fiber supplemetn, you must drink lots of water when using them, or they will not work veffectively. Also, do not take too much as too much fiber can irritate your bowels on the way  out and diarreah actually does worse down there.

I hope these help and hope you feel better.

Best,

Myles

• Posted

Dear Myles,

Thank you so much for your recommendations.  I have been on Celevac for over a year taking 12 tablets a day which coats my tourtous colon so it makes it easier for poop to smoothly get around. I am now on week 4 after the operation and I have been plagued by smelly flatulence. It is awful.  So I have stopped fybojel (seeing as I am still taking Celevac) - I am convinced it is that, although it was very useful in the early stages after my op. The bleeding stopped only 1 week ago but it is not so painful to poop now.  I am drinking pints and pints of water per day to keep things moving.  The only other difference I have is that I seem to feel like there is a babies head in my vagina now!!!! I hope this all settles.  I am going back to work next week as I am sick of being at home with daytime TV lol.  I do have a sitting down job so I am lucky. I am yet to see my consultant who did the operation apparently (on my hospital discharge) I am to see about 6 weeks after surgery. I hope I am not going back to work too early, Time will tell.  Thank you for your reply :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.