I have just started taking Citalompram for anxiety. Does it work ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Only been in it for 4 days one day has been good the rest awful. I hope it will work and let me get my life back.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes it will...I'm on day 13..and all I feel now is light dissiness. And I'm only on 5mg. Everyone here says it gets worse before it gets good..I hope so too. Counting the days...chin up.
  • Posted

yes it'll work but it takes so much longer than anyone tells you! Push through the yuk bits and it'll work 😘😘
    • Posted

Thank you. Onward & upwood although I am naturally impatient person !!
  • Posted

Welcome to the Club Linda!

​Many of us are going through what you are at ths very moment, many have been through the same and of course there are others that may return to Cita for various reasons as well. All of which will help remind you that you are not alone!

​Now, some will say "one good day out of four, wow, wish I just had a good day" on the other hand there will be those that get just one bad day in many good ones. This is the same for the side effects (non of which are life threatening) as everyone is so different not everyone will experience all of these or even the intensity of these that others do. Therefore, it is best not to over worry (which can be a side effect in itself) and as you are here in this all inclusive forum you will find out like the rest of us all you need to understand this sticking plaster for the brain and also all the support you will need to move forward. Not forgetting a good GP.

​Moving forward is the only way. We tend not to talk about getting our life back or wanting to be normal again after all what is normal? I and many others, certainly do not wish to return to what brought us here in the first place! With the increase in stress and depression in the western world it is time we took back our freedom and said enough is enough. Of course it isn't as easy as that and we have to start the change within ourselves.

​I have done such a thing and cannot start to express how much better things are. I had flu when I started on Cita, or it started just after I finally got round to taking it, either way for the first 5 weeks I went through hell I had little idea of what was happening to me and I didn't really care eventually, but I found this forum. They helped me through, helped everytime I asked a question or cried for help and I cannot leave out me partner, now Fiancee, who knew little about what was happening either, but has learnt from the forum too. Having someone close, whether a lover, family or a friend is important. If you do not have someone close enough or do not feel able to help - worry not, this is kinda one big Family anyway!

Anyway, I have changed my lifestyle, cut way back on the old ale (etc), given up smoking, I'd like to say I am taking regular exercise, which I should be doing however, I am being a bit lazy at the mo. Got rid of the TV watch iplayer, listen to the radio and music in general, scream shout rock around the house! Most importantly, I removed myself from the situation and people that were complicit in making me ill, bringing me down and eventually bringing me here - work and so called colleagues. It hasn't been easy, but I decided to put my mind to good use from those early days (when I had good days) 16 months ago, to do my part in aiding my recovery. It is difficult, but doable!

​Cita is not a quick fix and once you have started taking it giving up (which we've all felt like doing, trust me) instead of letting it do its job, will achieve nothing and yes, you will get your life back and you'll be getting everything back that brought you here in the first place.

​Give it time. You do not know at this stage you may be one of the lucky ones and it works quicker for you than otthers, but it still takes time. Every good day make a note so that you have something positive for the bad days and you will notice a gradual change from worse to better over time.

Anxiety levels may (or may not) increase a bit too, as Cita causes or increases anxiety to be able to treat it fully! Weird? Yep! I didn't think I had it until it happened yuk and freaky! At this point I must testify to the importance and comfortabilityness of an emergency duvet kept downstairs for those days when you make it out of bed only to find you need to curl up somewhere safe.

​Finally, keep posting and reading no matter how insignificant a question may seem, just ask, we all have and we're all better for it.

Regards,

David

• Posted

Hi David thank you so much for your lovely kind reply. It is so good to feel such support & that I am not alone or going mad. My poor husband is having trouble coming to terms with what is happening to me I think he feels helpless & wonders what has happened to the strong Bubbly woman he married. But he has read your reply & I could see he was starting to understand . So again a big thank you. I will keep talking the pills & try to think positive & enjoy the odd day or days that I get until I hopefully get back to whatever normal is !! X
    • Posted

Youm Welkom me dear!

​I have involved my Fiancee from the start because I had no clue what was happening to me and in one moment of awareness I realised she didn't either. It has certainly helped and Ann is much more aware and it has made our love stronger. Love is ... all about understanding.

Some of the regulars or those that have become regulars are good friends now, one or two very good friends. We all have our own lives to get on with and catch up through the forum by posts or personal messages when we do 'pop in' here.

​No matter how bad it gets keep trying to be positive and keep asking!

Regards,

​David

• Posted

Hi Linda, I took Citalopram when I became suicidal post divorce and it changed my life. I had been struggling with anxiety for years and was emotionally exhausted.

After 3 years I went from 20mg to 10 mg increasing to 20 at times of stress. I finally got all my social problems sorted, work, house, friends and decided to come off Citalopram after 7 years. I was getting headaches, vivid dreams, weight gain for the past 6 months because I was no longer depressed or anxious. I've slowly come off..10 mg to every other day to every 3 days etc. I still got electric shocks, aches, fatigue but it's been over a 10 days now and my head is clearer than it has been for years! Once you know it's withdrawal you can cope more easily.

It saved my life but you need to address underlying causes of anxiety and depression as well, even though it took me 7 years!

I'd say take it if you feel really rubbish, don't suffer, you don't need too.

good luck and you are strong

• Posted

HI Mary,

How did you know that after 7 yrs it was time to come off cita, werent you scared of the side effects, how long did the side effects take to wear off. How do we know we will be ok after that long time on cita, doesnt your mind go wild again?

• Posted

Hi jesika

I was very well, new job, nice house, feeling calmer but I had a 'fuzzy' head like a hang over ( I don't drink) I started putting on weight and was having vivid dreams for first time. I knew I wasn't depressed anymore so started to reduce tablets slowly. I would leave off for days until electric shocks got painful then take 10mg after a few weeks I stopped.

My sleep wobbled a bit and my mood would drop like PMT but after a couple of weeks it is ok. Just getting shocks now but more like a buzz at times than a sharp shock.

My mind is ok though, I'm being kind to myself, avoiding stress being a bit quiet and gentle with myself not working long hours etc. 

So far so good but you do need to know yourself which I think I do after so long on Citalopram.

My advice would be take it very slowly...reduce dose skip days etc

lots of luck x

• Posted

Thank you Mary. I have been on it 6 days now & I still have terrible anxiety attacks in the morning but I have had 3 good days one when I felt almost normal ! But I realise that it is early days but it gives me hope that the tabs are working. Also having support from everyone on the forum makes me feel not alone with this problem. So it's onward & upwood. X
  • Posted

Hi I started citalopram today and immediately into the medicine I got the biggest anxiety attack and wanted to be rushed to the hospital. I got chest pressure head pressure lump in throat I ended sitting outside to get air and it calmed down a bit then I got really depressed and wanted to cry I just feel like there is no hope for me
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I got exactly the same experience on my second day of taking citalopram. I thought I'd had a terrible reaction to it and contacted a psychiatrist friend of mine who reassured me this was normal. He explIned that the medication can increase anxiety initially but it will settle down. If you read many of the different posts on the forums on here you will get an idea of what to expect. It is a roller coaster of a ride but many have been done this path and reassure us it's worth it. I am only on day 9 of my journey and it's been tough, but this is a really helpful forum which reassures and reminds us we are not alone with these experiences.
    • Posted

Morning Elizabeth,

​We all wish we could take this experience away from you as we have been there and it is hard to read others going through it too. It is like a rollercoaster going through the mist and you just have to try and close yer eyes and let it be. Some come through quickly others don't, it affects everyone differently you may or may not experience the same side effects or intensities as other people do as we are all different.

​However, stick with this sticking plaster for the brain and you'll eventually come through! Try not to worry about how long it'll take and always remember to have an emergency duvet downstairs so, if you make it out of bed one day and that is as far as you get, then you have it to crawl under and curl up in. I did and it is highly recommended.

​Cita causes anxiety to be able to treat it and fortunately for me it was a few days before it hit me, but then WHAM! I also suffered from health paranoia (as I called it - after) and after a short while of counselling my GP put me through tests from bloods to an ECG. In my case everything was fine, but that is not to say they might not have picked something up at the time.

​So, keep talking to your GP, let themknow what is happening as and when it does, keep reading here (at the same time try not to over think!) and keep posting. There is loadsa hope, it is just when we are so low we cannot see it, but it is here and we are!

Keep in touch and try to just go with the flow.

Regards,

​David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.