I have knee problems, which problem do I have?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 15 year old female. I do gymnastics twice a week and swimming every weekday. The past few weeks I have been experiencing pain more often than usual in both my knees(usually only one knee will hurt at a time). For the past 2 years I've had occasional knee locking but it would only happen maybe once every 3 months for an hour. but now it's almost everyday and even though it won't completely lock up like before, it will still hurt and the pain will get worse as I walk on it to the point of where it will completely lock. I will try my best to sit down before the pain gets worse but sometimes I am not near a chair or bed. The pain usually lasts for an hour. Even when I sit down my knee will still hurt until it's had an hour to rest. I don't know what's going on. I know that gymnastics is probably making it worse because swimming doesn't hurt it at all. I know it would be good to quit gymnastics but it's my passion and I would like some other options before I am o my left with the choice to quit.i just want some answers on what it may be so I could bring that up when I go to the doctors soon.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katie ! Just wanted to let you know that many people I know who had joint problems mainly knee problems got cured with regular use of turmeric.There's a specific way to make that turmeric which I will post later.But start taking half teaspoon of turmeric first thing in the morning and you will see benefits very soon.

Hope you will get benefit with this.

Also it's always good to consult your doctor before you start any treatment.

• Posted

Thank you, Amandee for the Turmeric!

I will give a try, for sure - half tsp in the morning!

You will know when I have news about my experience.

In this  meantime, wish you have a Happy New Year - peace, happiness and your health condition under control!

xxx

On this night of Dec. 26  I wish you the best for the New Year.

• Posted

Sounds like Osgood-Schlatters disease.   Not as frightening as the name might imply,so dont worry but its very common in people [young adults] around your age. Made worse as you have found by any exercise which impacts on the knee[s]. treatment is usually rest and only exercise like swimming,and low/no impact exercises.       It usually clears but can come back at any time . its usually because of growth spurts in people around your age.     if you are in severe pain...eg keeping you awake at night then you must see a doctor. 
  • Posted

Oh, Katie.lov, how much i would like to help you, had I a severe knee problem as you do and you are so young!

What does your orthopedist tell you?

How much of gymnastics is ok to do in your particular case?

May be to take a break for a certain period of time, followed by proper exercises and medication.

Then later on you may be able go back to your passion - in moderation though.

Always keep in mind you have there two weak spots.

Hope you find the right pro and treatment to help you out !

In this mean time Merry Christmas and all the best for 2016!

xxx

• Posted

Thanks for the replies I will try them out and i forgot to add this in but the pain is my left side if it's on my right knee and on the right side if it's my left knee and for both whichever side it's hurting on it will hurt on the front part closest to the side but not my whole front of the knee.
  • Posted

I am following the discussions you started as i replied each and everyone of them.

Right now you sent a Thank you and I replied too.

It's all up dated, it looks like smile

At anytime, please, contact me though.

• Posted

Hi did you find the replies to your Discussions!

xxx

• Posted

Is it possible that I have joint arthritis? A few of my joints give me trouble but I never experience swelling so I wasn't sure if I could still have it.
  • Posted

Hi, it sounds like you have a tear in your meniscus of your knee/s, a cartilaginous structure that helps protect your knee joint. the locking sensation can occur when the tear is like a flap and it bends over and becomes impinged in your knee joint. It s most common on the inside of your knee joints and can occur from trauma, likley to have happened to you in gymnastics. mention this when you talk to your GP. You are quite young for this to happen but it is still a possiility of you participate in gymnastics alot and have valgus or knocked knees ie they bend inwards when you squat, and a weak vastus medialus muscle in your quadriceps.

Another possibility is osteochondritis dessicans in which there is damage to your hyaline cartaliage at the anterior of your knee and a bony/cartilaginous fragment becomes loose and can cause knee locking. most common in active teenage boys however does happen to girls to.

Due to the complexity of the knee joint I highly suggest an MRI as this is the gold standard for imaging of the knee and will show up any and every possibility. An x ray will not show damage to your soft tissues and is unessacary radiation for you as will not give enough clinical evidence to diagnose you.

references: Yochum and Rowe essentials of skeletal radiology second edition. Souza 2014. Differential diagnosis for chiroptors.

• Posted

or osgood schlaters as mentioned above. sorry this is more likely for you than osteochondriris dessicans!!!!!
  • Posted

My thoughts are either the meniscus tear or patellofemoral pain syndrome. The tear may require surgery out patient or in patient depending on severity. Patellofemoral pain syndrome is something that you can only treat the symptoms. Braces, ice, elevation, rest, etc.

Here is info on it: https://patient.info/health/knee-pain-patellofemoral-pain

It is common in teenagers mostly female athletes laborers etc....

I was diagnosed with it at 13 yrs old I was a ballet dancer. With proper treatment of the symptoms you can continue gymnastics. I continued to dance for years even performing in the professional nutcracker for a few years!

Keep us updated please!

Emis Moderator comment: I have replaced the given link with a link to the equivalent article on our site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.