I have loads of medical issues would love to share advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone

I am a female aged twenty seven year old.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, P.C.O.S, I.B.D, and arthritis of the hips and knees.

I am morbidly obese and have tried all the diets in the book to loose weight but nothing seems to happen I even tried the tablets my gp prescribed but they didn't work.

I am worried all the time about not being here for my children's future because of all the problems dose anyone else have as many as this at such a young age or anyone older that can put my future into perspective

thank you all in advance.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi tammy ,so sorry to hear of your conditions . Have you had your vitamin levels checked especially vitamin D ? Low vitamin D levels is found in patients suffering IBD ,IBS , weigh gain thats hard to lose , arthritis , plus more ... Being active helps ... You want a future with your kids , its up to you to take care if yourself , YOU CAN DO THIS TAMMY !!! And dont forget to have your vitamin levels checked .....

• Posted

Strangely enough, my Vitamin D levels are normal even though I have IBS. They were also found to be normal when I went to my doctor with a different problem before my IBS started. Having my Vitamin D levels tested among other tests, actually triggered my IBS because the blood test was done by an incompetent nurse and it caused permanent neuropathy. The stress and the pain of it caused my IBS within two months of the blood test.Had I not had this blood test, I may well have not developed IBS.

• Posted

If you haven't already seen one, you should see an endocrinologist. Have you been recommended metformin for the PCOS? You have a high chance of being insulin resistant with PCOS and metformin can help with a lot of symptoms you may be getting. If you want to lose weight naturally, you need to start by quitting sugar and alcohol (if you drink). You are recommended to have a low gi diet with PCOS which you can google. A low gi diet would be really good for kids as well, you can get them into healthy eating and maintain a good energy level throughout the day. It is not about trying a diet, it is about sticking to a healthy way of eating as a way of life. It may also be a good idea to see a therapist because having a hormone imbalance can make you anxious and depressed, particularly with your other health issues. Talking through your problems a getting solutions of how to deal with your stresses is a very important step. You need to stay positive for yourself and your kids.

• Posted

Losing weight can be very hard when you have an underactive thyroid. Make sure you are getting enough thyroxine. Many doctors do not give enough thyroid medication. Normal thyroid test results don't necessarily mean you don't need more thyroxine. This happened to my mum and we had to fight hard to get her the correct thyroid dose. Ask your doctor to try you on a higher dose and if necessary insist on it or change your doctor if they won't listen.

Polycystic ovary syndrome can also make weight loss difficult. However, you should not worry because anxiety is very bad for the gut and can make conditions like IBD flare up more. The conditions you have are all treatable and managable. What advice did your doctor give you regarding your future? I would ask your doctor about this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.