I have M.E. but now docs think I've been misdiagnosed, what else could it be!??!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Diagnosed with M.E. over five years ago now. But a new doc has sent me for more tests because he thinks I've been mis diagnosed!!! What else could it be if not M.E.? Has anyone else found themselves in this situation?

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I guess the question is, what are your symptoms? It's impossible to say what else you could have without more information.
    • Posted

Thank you for your message, I don't have any new symptoms as such, just ongoing really. Have listed some further down thread. Xx
  • Posted

Hi Zelda,

As you say it's a new doc who has decided you've been misdiagnosed I wouldn't worry too much. How "new" a new doc is he? ie fairly newly qualified, a stand-in ((locum) at the practice?? Assume you're in uk and talking about at your gp surgery??!

If you're having new symptoms is that why he's investigating?

Otherwise, having more tests is not necessarily a bad thing. Never forget that you may have other underlying problems such as thyroid disorder or sle which might not have been screened for initially.

If ever you are unsure , ask the doctor what he is thinking as you have the right to know! If you've been given a request form for a blood test, what does it say on the form as to actual bloods requested and in the "clinical reasons" section??

Please try not to worry to much (not easy I know)!

Hope all goes well! :-)

• Posted

hi, yes in the UK. Thank you for your message. They have sent me for an mri of my brain and full spine...just waiting on results of there findings if any! They haven't given an indication of what they might be looking for, all I know is that they don't think it's M.E. ......
    • Posted

I'm with Elmo; they should be clear about what they're thinking. I would press them for the information. After all it's your body and your life! 

Doctors can be awful for being enigmatic. Got to drag it out of them. The one I have now's not like that though, thankfully. razz

• Posted

yes I will be asking lots of questions at end of month when they have results!!
    • Posted

But you need to know what they're thinking now don't you?
  • Posted

Are your labs showing something that leads them towards a different diagnosis?

• Posted

the doc says that not all symptoms fit the diagnosis of M.E.....
  • Posted

My daughter was diagnosed with ME and IBS two and a half years ago. She had tests done last week and it turns out that she actually has Crohn's disease! Doctors had ignored her symptoms for so long because her blood tests were always normal. The gastroenterologist said that it can be difficult to diagnose as first because symptoms can be so vague. I bet this is the same for other illnesses in the beginning.

​Hope you get some answers x

• Posted

That happened to the lady who used to run the local ME group. Turned our both her and her daughter have Crohn's disease after thinking they had ME. They're both better now through diet.
    • Posted

My diet is probably another issue! For some reason, on evenings I have been binge eating, I think trying to get a sugar fix, but because I haven't any sugary snacks I've been eating cereal with sugar or toast with jam. I know I'm not supposed to eat anything like this but I cannot stop. It's very hard to explain. I've never had a problem with over eating before. It's always on the evenings I have this problem. I think it may be loneliness?  I asked for help on this over two years ago but never got any! Now it's become a really bad habit. Gggrrrrr. The only way I escape it is to go to bed real early! And I don't always go to bed early so just an ongoing horrible round about that I can't get off.......
    • Posted

I struggle with this, as well. The only thing that works for me is, first, not having any junk food in the house. And second, having healthy items on hand so when I get those cravings, I reach for a bunch of grapes instead of a bunch of cookies (biscuits).
    • Posted

Ive tried this, and have a much healthier fridge than I used too, but after eating a banana or Apple I still have the craving so eat my sons weetabix with sugar or have toast with natural jam...I need a trigger to stop me doing this! I'm not hungry...I just can't stop it!! Thankyou for sharing, I feel so alone with this issue!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.