I have many of the symptoms but....

Posted , 4 users are following.

Although I have many of the symptoms of BPPV I do not have to move my head to bring on a dizzy spell. It often happens when I'm lying in my bed not moving at all. I have had the eppley manoeuvre, to no avail.

None of the tablets I have been prescribed have done any good.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh how foul! You have my sympathy - vertigo attacks are awful.

Have you had your BP checked over a long period (24 hours at least) - low BP does funny things too? So can cardiac arrythmias - if you have a short period of a fast heart rate (tachycardia) you can have a slow heart rate for a short time and that can be enough to make you feel really strange. I never felt my tachycardias except as feeling a bit dizzy so it was a complete surprise when I was in hospital for a back problem a couple of years ago: I was complimented on my BP at admission - and a few days later was told I'd had very high BP for some time, long enough to cause thickening of the heart muscle!

Eileen

• Posted

Thanks Eileen. I am on tablets for my BP and it's usually fine. I started with tinitus eight years ago, not long after my husband died. It grew worse and then I began with the dizzy spells. Eventually the tinitus settled down and the dizzy spells came only intermittently. The last bout though, which has plagued me on and off for a year, makes me fall over, comes on suddenly,. and also makes my eyes dance. I have had the Eppley thingy, but it hasn't helped. Does everyone here get the dizziness with movement of the head only? I often get pain too, which does not seem to be a symptom.
  • Posted

Just sat in ent now waiting to see the doc again and I must say it's the worst day I have had so far, I feel totally drunk and confused and as though I've just got off a 36 hr straight through shift at work
  • Posted

So sorry for what you feel. I have every sympathy. What I feel is like I get a little explosion in my head then for about 30 seconds everything starts to spin, my eyes jump and I have to grab onto something to remain upright. That is on top of the vertigo that can last a lot longer. I'm afraid I'll fall and hit my head in the house as I live alone.
  • Posted

BTW I do have cardiac arrythmias, but the medical profession seem to dismiss that as unimportant.
  • Posted

Hmmm - yes, I gather that the UK in particular takes arrythmias far less seriously than they do here in northern Italy - where you won't be let out of hospital until nicely settled on at least an anticoagulant (such as warfarin). I have a load of other stuff too as mine was so bad. Not that I was aware of it mind you!

There was an article recently where cardiologists were expressing concern at the lack of action in the UK in patients with atrial fibrillation where they believe it is leading to unnecessary cardiac events/strokes as a result of the possibility of blood clots forming when the heart is not functioning properly during an attack.

The American Stroke Association says:

"An estimated 15 percent of strokes are a result of untreated atrial fibrillation (AF or AFib), but most people don’t know what AF is – much less know if they have it. AF occurs in an estimated 2.7 million Americans and is the most common type of irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia). AF dramatically increases the risk of stroke – approximately five times over the general population."

My husband went for a stress ECG on his birthday last year - all was well at first then as they turned up the power on the bike everyone suddenly jumped! He'd developed exercise-induced a/f - and they told him, birthday or not, if he hadn't already been on warfarin he'd not have been let out of the door!

I don't understand it - but I would be asking for a bit more investigation if it were me. If nothing else - to eliminate the possibility of TIAs if they haven't already done so.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.