I have my PIP assessment Tuesday

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have Received my appointment for PIP Personal independent payments-assessment this Tuesday. I am a bit apprehensive as I feel good at the moment due to high Steriods dose. I am going to be honest about my condition at its worst. I am not a fraud or a liar but I bet they look at me and don't see someone with an arthritic disease. Has anyone else had one of these?

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Yes, it is assumed you will doccumebt according to your lowest level of functioning, knowing you will return to this level...which is the entire reason you need the support.
    • Posted

Thanks i will have to explain my condition at its worst. I have had 6 weeks of Steriods and they have been brilliant. Starting methotrexate after my holiday.
    • Posted

Yes, the steroids are not a cure, as there is no cure, and are meant to assist.. Methotrexate helps some people, but also greatly lowers your immune system, which if you stay on them, may cause many other systemic infections or conditions that are also dehabilitating, and may help..may help..the RA..but the disease is life ling and degenerative and is in need of ongoing support and aid.
    • Posted

Thanks I feel re assured and confident now to explain my RA at its worst. I am going with my husband also as he has seen me at my worst .
  • Posted

Keep us posted please Michelle, I've just started the ball rolling with PIP application so would be good to know how it goes.

Best of luck smile

• Posted

Hi michelle1901

I've had my pip assessment about 3 months ago and she I went I felt very much like you, I thought they would think I was a fraud or a liar but the person I saw couldn't have been nicer and very sympathetic.

I was awarded the payment as well.

I hope you get the same outcome. X

• Posted

Hi Emma

Thanks how long did it take before you heard about the decision for them to award you PIP? What level of award did you receive? Standard or enhanced? What were your symptoms at the time of your assessment ? I am newly diagnosed and still have a long way to go before I know if the methotrexate will work as I haven't started this yet. Feeling a bit nervous for tomorrow but I really did feel physically disabled before I took the Steriods. I could barely walk far or get up off the couch. I couldn't wash or dress myself properly.

• Posted

It took about 3 weeks to get a decision and I got standard payment which is 220 pounds a month. I suffer with my walking just feels like I'm walking on a stoney beach the whole time and also I have swollen hands and have lost all strength in them. I rely on my other half to open pills, and on a bad day doing my bra up etc. He also does all the cooking. I've been diagnosed a year so still trying to get medication right. They checked my hand strength with a couple of grip tests like squeezing there fingers. Do you suffer with hand strength.
    • Posted

Hi yes it sounds very similar to my symptoms. Mine started in arms, wrists and then feet and spread almost everywhere since then. I even have it in my jaw some days so it hurts to talk or eat. My wrists have been x rayed and have already shown signs of mild arthritis damage already. My husband has to open lids, do my bra and help me out of the bath etc. I have to shower as it's slightly easier. He has had to pull my trousers up for me when my hands are bad as my fingers were swollen for weeks and I couldn't make a fist and my fingers kept locking.

Thanks for your advise

• Posted

Hi all

Assessment went really well this morning. She was very sympathetic and kind. I Explained my condition at its worst and did a grip and stretch test. She said I had reduced grip and my arms didn't stretch fully. She said I should hear back from DWP in 3-5 weeks.

• Posted

I'm pleased it went well, she said I had reduced grip even though I was thinking I was squeezing really hard. I hope you get the same result I did. I would keep my fingers crossed but they would never make it 😆.

Keep us updated x

• Posted

Thanks emma. I was quite nervous this morning but didn't need to worry it was fine. 😊
    • Posted

I'm from the U.S. And I wondered about the PIP assessment.  I keep seeing this and wondered what it is.  Is this a disability payment you receive?  Is it total disability?
    • Posted

Hi yes it is a form of a disability payment that we receive in UK

• Posted

Hi

I have been away on holiday and whilst away found out I have been awarded PIP. The Standard rate. Phew. A massive relief and don't need assessing for 2 years now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.