I have near constant feeling of dizziness in my head

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

For the last 1 1/2 years, I have been nearly dizzy light headed.  I am now 57 and I have had bad ear infections every 3-4 years since age 18.

I have had mri's done and been to a neurologist but they keep telling me that I have vestibular migraines but I am not 100% convinced.

I have had 3 migraines in the past but not for the last 5-7 years.

They gave me a balance test which I passed.  They also did the test where they put hot and cold water into your ears and this showed an imbalance between my left and right ears. I was told to march in place with my eyes closed and when I opened them, I had gone to the left.

I get dizzy looking up, bending over, standing up too quickly, bright lights, people in my field of vision.  One time in a mall, it was like you threw a light switch.  This is how quick it happens.

They gave me exercises to do, where you look at a certain point, then move your head from side to side very quickly, then up and down for 20 minutes/day.  I did it a few times but it made the dizziness worse for 3 days afterwards.  I am afraid to do them again as I have to go to work.  I don't have vertigo as I do not move but I constantly feel like I am drunk, even though I do not drink.

I am so fed up feeling like this, I do not know if they are right or if it is something else.

Thanks,

Mark

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi love, I'm sorry you are going through this... I too have all these symptoms.. it's taken me 7 years to get diagnosed.. originally I was diagnosed with PPPD( persistent posture-perceptual Dizziness) it usually starts after a vestibular event e.g ear infections.. but my new diagnosis is MdDS ( mal de department syndrome) this usually starts after a motion event.. mine started 3 months after a cruise.. personally I think it's hormone related..  but it can be  spontaneous....Even though these two have very similar symptoms, the big difference is with MdDS, I feel better in motion e.g I feel better in a car and worse when I get out.. it would be the other way around with PPPD.. also with PPPD you may get  relief when lying down.. with MdDS I still feel like I'm rocking.. I'm still not convinced about VRT( vestibular  rehabilitation therapy )  either! It makes me feel worse.. but I have been told you have to do it for months to get relief.....I wouldn't recommend any medication, but sometimes doctors( who have any idea about these two problems, you won't find many!) diagnose ant-  depressants.. it's only to help with the symptoms and it's definitely not the cause.. anxiety is huge with both these problems.. if you can deal with the anxiety's head on, you will find your symptoms decrease... I hope this help! I'm here if you need a chat..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.