I have neuropathy and get the electric shock feelings. Does anyone else get them?

Posted , 7 users are following.

When I first noticed these electric shock feelings I thought I had been electricuted, but it did not go away. It is so uncomfortable. If you get this how do you cope?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I get them typically in my hand but anywhere you have nerve damage I'm told.

• Posted

Sorry you get them in your hands. I get it in my hands, feet and legs. My quality of life is low. I would not wish this on any one.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Vmocha, Yes I get those electric shocks (mostly in the evenings), they generally run down the back of my legs from the knee to the ankle.

Sometimes it hurts so bad and it's such a surprise that I almost shout out. It's hot as well. I used to do some wiring in older homes and occasionally I'd get hit with 110 volts. It feels almost the same.

I also get what I call buzzing pain. It's almost like a hot pain that vibrates.

When I get those pains in the evenings I've found that taking Advil PM helps some.

God bless you vmocha. I pray that you find relief from your pain.

• Posted

You described the electic shocks so well. I sometimes feel like I am full of electricity. I suffer all day but night time I get sleep,off and on.

Thank you for responding.

GOD Bless You.

• Posted

Isn't it funny how hard it is to discribe your pain to someone else? I feel like they think I'm off my rocker.

Hang in there. One day you will look back on this time in your life and laugh.

• Posted

Having MS for the past 17 years I sympathise but it can be deminished with the right medication. Note I say deminish not cured. It is something you will get to live with and if you get the burning sensation with it that is called disesthetic burning (google it) and thats the easiest way to describe it to the doctor or neurologist. You need to see one as soon as possible as neurpathic pain can be very severe ruin your quality of life very quickly
    • Posted

Thank you for the good information. I am going to Google to look up disesthetic. My quality of life has already been affected but I still have life.

I know these shocks and this pain wont completely go away. I just want it to be less.

• Posted

I was diagnosed recently with post partum parsonage turner syndrome. The electric shocks i feel through my hands and arms was unbearable until i was put on medication it has depleted the severity but its still always there. Try n get a referral to a neurologist. Good luck :-)
    • Posted

Thank you. I will try to find a neurologist this week.

Have a Blessed day.

• Posted

Got an MRI to pin point where the nerves are being impinged.
    • Posted

I have an appointment this week. I will ask for a referral to a neurologist so I can find out if there is anything I can do about this awful feeling.
  • Posted

Hi vmocha -- What part of your body do you get the shock feelings and and is there any movement/activity that seems to aggrivate the symptoms and what, if anything, makes the pain go away? The Neurologist will ask these and many more questions...sometimes, it helps me to make notes of my symptoms (All symptoms even if you think something else isn't related):

How often you're having the symptoms?

Does the pain ever interrupt your sleep?

Has the condition become so painful or otherwise bothersome that it interferes with your life (Work, sleep, activity levels, etc)?

Your Dr's will want to know what medications you're currently taking (are any of them new meds? Sometimes people have really unusal side effects from new meds) and what, if any, medications seem to help the shock feelings go away or beome less bothersome.

I have Atypical Facial Pain set off by dental work 2.5 years ago, and I have the electric shock feelings in my teeth. The best med for it for me was Nortriptyline -- completely eliminated the shock feelings for a year before I had to add another drug. I started at small dose of 10 mg (smallest dose possible) and worked my way up to 150 mg daily (max dose)...I began to have "break thru" pain after being on Nortriptyline for a year and we've added some anti-convulsant drugs that have proven to be really therapeutic for nerve pain.

If they suggest trying an anti-depressant, don't think they're telling you it's all in your head...the Notriptyline is an anti-depressant but it also works to block the pain signal from your brain to the area you are having pain. The way it was explained to me: Your brain still senses the injury or damage and still sends the pain signal but the Notriptyline acts as like a goal keeper and blocks the path so the pain signal never reaches it's destination..hence, you don't feel the pain or at least, the pain is dulled to a tolerable degree. I've heard conflicting opinions on whether or not nerves can repair themselves from injury ...but never give up hope. Our bodies can do amazing things given the right treatment.

Also, I recommend Alpha Lipoic Acid for nerve wellness (it's a supplement you can get over the counter).

Obviously, you want to listen to your Dr's advice and not some unknown person online...these are just medications that have helped me quite a bit. I was beside myself with horrible shocks in my teeth and it destroyed my life for a good while. I don't know where I'd be without the treatment I have now.

Best of luck to you...I'd be interested to hear how your appointment went if you come back and want to share. Either way, I hope you're on the mend soon!!

• Posted

Thank you so much for the information. I go to the doctor Friday, with list in hand. I will let you know how it goes. My life has been affected and I don't want this to be my new normal.

• Posted

hi there,yes after i got crushed,and got nerve damage,i was getting electric shocks in crotch,area where nerves was damaged

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.