I have not had an infection since ruling out 1 thing

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with diverticulitis for 2 years.. 4 years of infections doctors told me to eat high fibre diet, I thought that's ok just need more fibre.. No improvement I had a infection at least twice a year until I stopped eating one thing.... whole wheat bread. I'm not saying I won't have an infection again but whole wheat will not be to blame

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Wow! When I came back to work from being diagnosed, I fed the birds my 12-grain wheat bread. I looked at it and saw all those seeds and thought "that would kill me" ... it's confusing on how much fiber. Right now when I eat bread, I stick w/ Wonder Bread (white).

Hope you continue to do well.

• Posted

Thanks im fine at the moment could I just ask im unsure about Diviculitis, I was diagnosed after a colonoscopy with Diviculitis  and touch wood have been relatively well apart from the odd stomach pains. Do we always have diviculitis or is it inflammation of the divicular which does calm down, I haven't really had it explained to me. Im asking because I don't know what to put on my health insurance form. Do I put divicular or diviculitis very confusing. 

• Posted

Diverticulitis is the actual infection and diverticula disease is what you diagnosed with., It took me a while to get my head round it. I had the colonoscopy they said high fibre diet and that was it I thought more nuts stuff like that but all that made it worse, infections took over my life and I was so depressed I could not go anywhere it crippled me, it made me very angry because my diet was high fibre anyway i just added to it. Then I realised infections started when I started eating WHOLE WHEAT BREAD 2 years before I was diagnosed my life is so different now
    • Posted

Sorry if appear dim Caroline but when the infection clears up are you back to having divi

cular disease or is the divicular always inflamed im so confused by it all and my gp hasn't explained it to me properly even though I have asked on a number of occasions. Also would I still be in pain if it was only divicular and not diviculitis.  Im trying to avoid constipation and do eat lots of fibre but even though my stools are regular and reasonably easy to pass I do get very hard lumps and this worries me immensely in case I get another blockage 

• Posted

When no infection or inflamation present the name is diverticulosis, when inflammation occurs it is diverticulitis.

The diverticular are hernias in the intestine wall. The diverticula are there permanently but will not necessarily get inflamed or infected. Some people can have diverticulosis and never know having never suffered the diverticulitis stage.

• Posted

Hi

Working with a nutritionist she ruled out all bread as despite being fibre it can be an irritant. I can eat white bread or rolls as long as there are no bits in it or on top. White bread makes me bloat but not flare up. Don't eat it every day just when I fancy. Have found eating plain white wraps is better for me but we are all different. 

• Posted

I've cut out all insoluble fiber and haven't had a flair for almost two years.

• Posted

Yes the FODMAP diet. I stick to items that are low on it and have odd items from medium and high list. It seems to work for me too. Glad you not had a flare for longĀ 
  • Posted

Hi Caroline-45. I have recently been diagnosed with diverticulitis, but I have been suffering for 6 years waiting for tests and appointments. I seem to have flare ups every couple of weeks which last from 2 to month or more. I suffer with nausea and diarrhoea everyday and some times headaches. The pain is bad and I can only take paracetomol, or morphine if the pain is severe.  I can't take Codiene as it makes me illI .I was just wondering what you take for the pain? and do you think the wholemeal bread alone is helping you not other things you might not be eating.  I will give it a try as nothing seems to work for me. I have read so much about it and the information is so conflicting. 

• Posted

This is rubbish isn't it.

Yes like you,I have read so much about this and yes conflicting information .

• Posted

Hi Suzy. I hope you don't me asking, but  in what part of your abdomen do you have the pain? I seem to get it at the top from the top of my stomach, in about and 8 inch band like a wide sash, all the way around to my back. According to the diver. websites your supposed to have it down your left side and along the bottom of your stomach. Strange.

• Posted

That's where l get mine Susan and always in the same place. I was going to ask the same question. My pain gets better once l have had a poo. When my poo was like pellets l had it a lot but since taking fybogel it has improved

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.