I have osteoarthritis in my foot

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have just found out I have osteoarthritis in my foot. I was wondering if I will be able to keep cleaning in a motel I can hardly walk at the moment. What can help with the pain

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Melissa, foot arthritis is very difficult to deal with.  I have advanced OA in both feet and walking is a problem.  I am 78 so I use a walker when I go out of the house but, of course, that would be no help to you.  I find heat pads help first thing in the morning and again in the evening.  Keeping the feet agile is very important - goggle foot excercises.  I wear tubular bandages all day.  Going up and down stairs strengthens the feet (it hurts like hell)😏😏 Of course there are tablets you can take but it is easy to get into the habit and take too many.

Your question about keeping your job is a difficult one.  Stay as long as you can (and want to)!  If you leave you are alone with the pain!!  Take short breaks and wiggle your feet.

All the best.

Constance 💐

• Posted

Hi Constance thanks for you reply and advice I will have to get a heat pack and try that I am off work for this week its so painful and doesn't feel like its going to go away I will Google foot exercise and would love to keep my job as long as possible I am only 40 so many years of working yet ahead of me

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain problems Melissa.  I have severe OA in my ankle and really sympathise.  It's very difficult for  you having to do a job that involves a lot of standing and walking.  There are some foods that are known to help with inflammatory pain (which OA causes) and also some that make it worse, do google for info.  I've found that avoiding eating certain things can help.  I've found a lot of help from a couple of natural things - fresh ginger, it can be grated and mixed with body lotion or hand cream and rubbed into the painful area.  Also can be minced and steeped in boiling water and drunk like tea - add lemon juice and sugar if required.  Curcumin (the active ingredient in turmeric) is also good but the high concentration capsules are quite expensive and there isn't very much (less than 5%) in turmeric powder.  Do keep the foot moving, particularly when sitting or non weight bearing, although it will be painful at first, the more it's exercised, the less the ongoing pain will be.  I find my OA flares up and subsides depending on what I've been doing, hopefully the really intense pain you're feeling at present will lessen off after a while.  The seasonal change in weather always makes mine bad for a while, then it eases off.

• Posted

Hi Loxie.  Do you really find the “more you excercise the less pain”?  I am afraid I don’t!😡. I only  have to walk for 20 minutes (which I try to do every day) and the pain is quite bad and lasts the rest of the day.  Then it all starts again😡.

Perhaps the OA in hips and knees just add to it all ( besides the PMR).  Poor old s-d!!!

• Posted

Oh bless you, I can go along with this completely.  I only have to walk to the bathroom and the pain starts to nag, so I do understand.  
    • Posted

Hi loxie thanks for your reply I suppose while I am in pain I can sit and play on goggle for a while to see what I can and can't eat. The Dr said the antiinflammatory I am on should reduce the pain soon then it's just trying to keep it away. It is better hearing from other people knowing I am not the only one going through this. It really hard having large family and not being at work to help pay bills at the moment. I should be back at work soon though.

• Posted

Hi Constance.  Really does depend on where the problem is and what type of exercise.  I find it really important to keep the joints flexible but with my ankle for example if I do too much that is load bearing it inflames it.  My thumb joints are more complicated - I have to keep them moving but only in a certain way other wise they swell up.  Walking is not the best bet for my ankle but swimming is excellent.
    • Posted

I do understand.  The best bet when it flares up is to rest but that is much easier said than done with a family, a job, etc etc.  However, if you can rest with your leg elevated and let the anti inflamms have a chance to take effect, it will feel better.
  • Posted

Did your doctor give you any inserts for your shoes? Wearing the proper shoe with the proper insert can help immensely. I have arthritis in my right foot on the top of my foot. And as long as I wear my shoes a lot it helps reduce the pain. I'm at home all day on disability because of my lower back so I don't wear my shoes in the house I just prefer to go barefoot. But I can sure tell when I've been barefoot to long. And then I just have to wear shoes around the house for a few days.

• Posted

Hi Amkoffee I can't put a shoe on at the moment I have appointment in 2 more days and hopefully then she will tell me what to do. With food shoes and just general stuff. Thanks for your reply

• Posted

I think the suggestion about foot inserts is a good one. And a podiatrist told me to go look for them in a store that specializes in running shoes, etc, rather than a drugstore. I confess I haven't done this yet. The other thing is, of course, to keep those foot joints mobile, and massage the feet, flex the toes, etc, maybe in the evening after a warm bath?

• Posted

Thank you for backing me up on the inserts Anhaga. When I put the inserts from the podiatrist into my old shoes it was horrible my foot hurt worse than ever. So I went to a New Balance store and told them what I had going on and they had me step on one of those machines you see advertised and that told them what kind of insert I needed and I also picked out a new pair of tennis shoes. Once I got all that done my feet hurt a lot less.

• Posted

I agree Anhaga, orthotics can help keep the foot and leg in a correct position which helps relieve pressure etc.  Here in the UK it's possible to get bespoke orthotics on the NHS.  There is quite a wait for an appointment but they measure your foot and assess the gait etc., for purpose made ones.  They do tend to be a bit thicker than privately sourced inserts and may not fit all shoes.  I had to buy a bigger size shoe for mine to fit for example but they really helped.

• Posted

Hi Loxie.  For some reason I thought you lived in Australia.😀  Where in the UK do you live?

• Posted

They will even make shoes for you if you can get a referral from a consultant.
    • Posted

I sent this before finishing it. I was referred in late January and it took about two months to get an appointment. He made an impression of my feet and did various measurements  another two months and the part finished shoes arrived for a fitting . They seemed OK and went back to be finished. Another two months and I collected them but the fitter was not there for me to try them on. I found them to be too tight and the knuckle on each big toe was practically raw after wearing them at home for a few hours. . I wrote to him and had another appointment and was told the there were two neoprene insoles under the moulded part that could be removed if not needed. I found that I needed one insole in the left shoe as my foot was moving around .

They were still not comfortable and I contacted him again and also told the neuro physio I am seeing .about them. She arranged for one of her colleagues to come to the next appointment to tell him more of what I needed.. They have gone back to be modified and have a rocker on the left shoe to help propel me forward.

I don't have much faith that the modifications will be the answer to a proper fit. The hospital podiatrist said that many of the shoes made are not fit for purpose.    

• Posted

Hi Constance.  I live in Hertfordshire - 'middle England' so to speak.  Originally from South London.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.