I have PA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just been diagnosed with PA ,I suspect I have had it for years

does anyone suffer with balance or walking (gait) problems

thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I find when i am due my b12 injection that my balance is poor.  I tend to walk into things and become very unsteady on my feet.  I know of others who suffer the same problem.  If you go on to the PA site you will get lots of information and reassurance from others who are going through the same sort of thing.
    • Posted

Hi Roger and Isabel, what amazes me is that despite the fact that with PA it is obvious you need another injection of B12 because you have the symptoms, the doctors don't advise that you get the injections more often. This is one of the reasons that I have turned to the B12 oils where you get a small shot every day and so can keep the symptoms away altogether.
    • Posted

Hi Madge, can you give more information on b12 oils. Thanks
    • Posted

Hi Isabel, the B12 oils contain a mix of adenosyl and methyl B12, which are the two natural forms of vitamin B12 in the body. The composition is designed to provide B12 to people such as those with PA who may not be able to convert Cyanocobalamin to Ado and Me vitamin B12 (a common problem) or hydroxocobalamin to the Ado and Me VB12 (also a common problem). You rub the oil on every day and it seems to penetrate the skin (apparently it is a special type of formulation that will do this). It gives you a continuous supply of B12 rather than the big peaks and troughs that you see with injectable forms. I have used it and it has been very good. I can't supply the web-site as it it taken off by the moderator, but I can put it in your private mail box.
  • Posted

Hi Roger,

I noticed a slight decline in my balance, a shortening of my stride, and a "stompy" gait just before I was diagnosed.  In fact, it was 3 falls in 2 days that finally drove me to see my doctor.  I'd put it down to the unexplained fatigue, weight gain and stiffness I was feeling (I thought it was "the change"), but I now understand I may have been experiencing some B12 deficiency neurological symptoms.  I'm on B12, awaiting further testing and a gastroscopy in search of a cause, since I'm antibody negative.  Anyone who knew me 4 years ago when I was a fit, slim, hardworking woman, striding along in stillettos, simply wouldn't recognise the plump, blundering little old lady I've suddenly become.  The B12 jabs and iron tablets definitely helped, but a week after the last of my first 6, I "dropped off a cliff" and had a real relapse.  Maybe I was overdoing it at work, but if I can't hold the B12 effect for longer than that I'm going to be in a real pickle.  If the doctors can't find me a quick way to get back to my normal unbearable self, I'll be trying the "alternatives"!  I understand B12 oils may work, and I wouldn't rule out obtaining extra cobalamines to inject myself.  Best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.