I have pain in my knees and upper back but no swelling could it be RA?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Last year while I was turning around felt my knees slipping and I fell.I went to the doctor he told me I had ligament tear from the fall and gave a knee supporting belt.After that I started experincing pain in my knees if did some excessive workout or something like that.lately I started having pain in my right knee And then it spread to my left.I went to the doctor he told me to take some tests . My esr was 18 and I had toxic granules in my neutrophils.He told it was normal and was a light variation. Now he has asked me to get an MRI. Could be having RA? I have no swelling. But now I'm experiencing pain in my uppper back and sometimes in my ribs . Can anyone please help me.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anu, my initial thought was OA. I had a dislocated patella aged 40 which never really recovered and led to OA and a knee replacement but I was obviously much older than you so I suspect not OA? Isn't the abnormal neutrophil more likely to be associated with some infection? Also can be associated with extreme exercise and our hormones can also affect them? (Don't they affect everything!) I find haematology extremely complex so thank goodness there are experts out there who can interpret them. That doesn't include most of us on this forum (well certainly not me!) but I would agree to press for a rheumatology opinion sooner rather than later because early diagnosis is very important and ruling out a diagnosis is just as important!  Regarding meds, first things first. I honestly think much of RA treatment is pretty scary which is why we need close and careful monitoring. I wouldn't want to scare anyone but none of them are to be taken lightly and that is the reality. Anti TNF therapy wouldn't be considered first line anyway. But, it  may not come to that. Lets hope not.  In the meantime has your GP tried you with any anti inflammatory meds? Steroids can also be really effective. Sometimes injected into the joint they can give great relief in the short term. (My daughters would be horrified at that suggestion but they can really be worth it) When you go to the GP and Rheumy in particular write down any of your symptoms, what brings them on, severity, how long does it last and what relieves it. Photos can help if you get swelling / redness because you can bet it won't be there when you see the doc, will it. Very best wishes. Carol

• Posted

My mother suffer from acute knee pain constantly but i guess that is due to her growing age.Last week she consulted doctor about it and he suggested for Tramadol pain killer.The pain killer is really working well on her and she can walk properly now without pain.Why don't you ask your doctor about tramadol medication it might help you.

• Posted

Hi anu 

Have you gotten your MRI results? I started to have left knee pain about two months ago. I went to an orthopedic and he diagnosed as osteoarthritis. But I am only 37. Could I ask how old are you? Within two months, it has now spread to my right knee and right hip. I have since gotten a second opinion and my doctor thinks I have RA. I also wake up with stiff fingers every morning. Like you I do not have any swelling. My knees are just painful and sometimes I have sharp shooting pain. I couldn't walk for long.  I too wonder if I have RA. I tested negative for RF factor. But my doctor seems convinced that he started me on methotrexate and prednisone right away.  I have been on the Meds for a week and have seen the pain reduced. Keep posting and let us know how you are. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.