I have pain in my lower back that goes to my hip and front of thigh. At times it causes pelvic pain

Posted , 21 users are following.

Does that sound like sciatica.? Sometimes I can hardly walk

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Me too. Identical symptoms. Better in the mornings but by 3 pm can barely walk and it's so painful. Having a scan next week. Been given naproxen and amitriptyline but not much better. Started 6 weeks ago. Feeling desperate

• Posted

Hi Marian115

Yours sounds the same. Isn’t it just horrid! I am a runner and ignored some niggles and back pain last week and for about 6 days now I have had insane pain in the front of my pelvis, down through my thigh and into my knee. Doc gave me the same: Naproxen, which doesn’t help at all and amitriptyline. I can’t hardly walk and I’m already super depressed. I’m 42 and have never had anything like this before. I don’t know what to do :’( Want a scan but not sure they will bother until I’ve been suffering for a full 6-8 weeks... 

• Posted

I will let you know the results of the scan. It's the walking problem that stresses me out. I can usually walk for miles but now just a few yards and I am in agony. Heat pads and hot water bottle helps. My next plan is chiropractor.

• Posted

I've been like it for two years now. I'me doing Paravertebral Ozone Gas injections with a long 25X7 needle, , which, where I live has cured many people by rehydrating Discs that have become so dehydrated that the vertebrae were touching each other. Also bought a Quell from Amazon which is supposed to get rid of pain and won the prize for the best invention in the world 2015, I think it was. expensive , it's a band with an application in it and elecrodes, that straps around your leg and allows you to do exercises which should cure the basic condition. I took all the meds you are taking and more, they cure absolutely nothing and since it's nerve pain , the only way to stop the pain is to heal the root cause of it. Which has been forming for many many years. Sciatic pain comes from issues which don't happen overnight, although it's like the straw that broke the camel's back. I've had many accidents, climbing , jumping, running , car accidents and finally in 2015 I had a flying fall and ignored it . carried heavy suitcases , walked all over New York carrying shopping bags, after three months of travel I got home, Rio De Janeiro and now I can't walk anywhere! I'm  In agony. So finally I'm doing a course online with exercises every day. I've tried traction, Chiropracter, massage, Pilates , Yoga and been to an internationally famous Orthopedist who after disgreeing with the Doc who did the MRI Scan,  told me that he could operate, but that 89% of cases can be cured by persistence. Exercises. Medications are terrible, eventually a Cortisone injection can take away the pain, but it's very bad for the health also. Aging too. It's bad for blood pressure, eyes , skin weight ....SO good luck ! You've joined a huge club and the only way to get out of it is to be strong and not give up. Take care of your mental health too as it's depressing to suddenly have your life taken away form you. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Sorry to hear others are suffering the same and it's not all in my mind. I think mine started while renovating a bungalow. Up and down ladders and moving in odd angles to reach difficult areas. The final pain which led to this was pushing my grandson uphill on his bike. Will try more exercise even though it hurts. Walking is the most painful.

• Posted

Try applying a back brace. I know they are clunky but sure has helped me. 

On your walks mix in quad/calf stretching and see if it offeres some relief to extend the trip. 

I also live by ice packs. My entire spine from c3 to S region gets iced every night. Helps reduce the pain throughout the night.

Before you go for any spine manipulations (chiro) get the results from the scans and ask the surgeon to approve chiropractic procedures. Spinal manipulation for disc problems is risky unless it is purely decompression method. 

• Posted

Be careful with the Chiro, mine made my condition worse by showing me an exercise that twisted my back and which the Orthopedist told me was crazy. There are a lot of videos on YouTube with really good exercises , simple ones. A Yoga mat is good, try doing some of the exercises shown, they elongate the spine and decompress the area and some of them are for the hips, which normally don't get stretched. 

• Posted

Scan of pelvis ovaries etc came back clever. So that is good. Had a swim and stretch in pool this am which gave a bit of relief for a short time. In pain again now. Definitely feel it is nerve pain. Don't know what hurts the most. My back or leg!

• Posted

I'm really sorry about the pain you're going thru'. But just doing any old exercise won't help, you need specific exercises for the lesion you have, which will show up when you get the results of your mRI Scan.  Correct exercises are known by pilates and Yoga teachers. There are some really good ones on YouTube. I found one guy who has put out Sciatica relief exercises and doing them morning and night helped quite a bit. Walking does help, but not if you over do it. Some Yoga positions help, Cow, Cat stretching are the classics. Massage , muscular liberation also helps.Basically you should have your scan to show the Chiro because the one I went to made me worse by making me do a sideways stretch that caused my Sciatic nerve to inflame more. Then when the Orthopedist wrote the instructions for therapy he wrote "No twisting of the spine from waist down" as the L4. L5, S1 was where the Discs were damaged.  

• Posted

Thank you. I am going back to GP to ask for MRI scan. I think I will lay off the excersise until I get a proper diagnosis. I wish I could walk but it is soooooo painful in my thigh.
  • Posted

I experience the same pain. Been persistent for two years. I know the sciatic nerve is part of the problem but also other nerves in the pelvic region (l5 S1-2) . Also L1/2/3 may be a partial cause of the problem.

Problem is, it is hard to pin point for surgical relief. Becomes an exploratory procedure I am told and if you sign a waiver (meaning limited liability for surgeon) options for correction is scary.

I am stuck in a cycle of injections, when pain med provide little relief. Stretching helps but again a cycle persists. Challenge is finding enough relief to rebuild strength.

I am feeling (over past several years of this routine) this may be my future life. Anyone else feeling helpless?

What compounds it is many doctors have their preferred referrals who wish to apply their (special beliefs/practices) and time is wasted. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Not feeling very positive after reading other people comments
    • Posted

The Sciatic nerve goes though the pelvis. If you have pain in the hips and down the legs it can be something called Piriformis Syndrome. Still caused by The Sciatic nerve which controls everything along the entire spine  through the pelvis and down both legs. The largest nerve in the human body. When you have an MRI Scan + X-Rays standing up profile and lying down from the sides, these last two because of the weight & influence that gravity plays on your spine they can pinpoint exactly where your issues are. There's no searching around without knowledge. I have my problems circled in ink on my X-Rays. BUT surgery is risky and persistence is rare and most back problems Hernias etc. can be ameliorated with exercise. I'm having a hard time too, two years of having a wonderful, adventurous life of travel and volunteer work has almost finished me off! Now doing an exercise course online with a method that cured Ben Gurion , it's The Feldenkrais Method and takes 8 weeks of gradual exercises to cure pain. There's a photo of him, ben Gurion standing on his head after he was cured at the age of 74+/-. I hope I can stand on my head when I'm finished !

• Posted

I think I have a slight improvement this week. Have a strange sensation running up and down my thigh like when the dental injection is wearing off. I am hopeful that I am on the mend. Pain is definitely less than last week.
  • Posted

I am  feeling helpless I am in agony trying to walk . The ache around my hip groin left buttock, going down the leg with weakness and feeling numb in my foot , it also affects my bladder Suffering for the last 8 years I'v Had a knee replacement on the right side but my left side is different . The pain is so bad all I do now is walk with a crutch and take pain med's, it has stopped me having a life . I am 59  .So  I have decided to get myself a scooter and a chair lift to make life a little easier. My kids ask if I would be embarrassed to go round on a scooter , at one time I would have said yes  but not now . I need a life  and this is the only way I can get out and about again . Start to live again 

• Posted

Came across your post...I have the same symptoms and it was discovered that I had torn the labrum in my left hip joint. Even if they do an MRI, you need to have the contrast injected into the joint for a tear to show up on the imaging. Many athletes get these injuries, can ruin their careers. I've suffered with this for 30 years from an injury that tore various pelvic ligaments, SIjoint ligaments, but at the time, they knew nothing of labrums. I had surgery, it felt good for a bit, but tore again...mind you, the surgery was 20 years after the fact. So, now I need a hip replacement, that I've been avoiding. This injury affects your lower back, groin, leg...weight bearing, twisting/pivoting, leaning, just throws everything out. Sitting, standing, walking is hard. Feel like I have a constant game of ping pong from my groin/hip down into my foot that's usually numb...it never stops, and if things are really inflamed, it's really bad. Labrums are often not diagnosed unless your an athlete with a specific injury complaint, or at least they weren't. So, given your symptoms and how much I can relate to your description of them, maybe ask your doctor if you could be checked out. Good luck!!

• Posted

The pain has subsided considerably now,. I do have a lot of back ache and have now been diagnosed osteoporosis. I am taking the appropriate meds to try to improve my bone density.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.