I have pain in my right kidney and blood in urine (not visible)

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a constant pain in my right kidney and my GP found blood in my urine doing a routine urine test (its not visible).

I wish I didn't do it but I googled "blood in urine" and now I'm convinced I've got kidney cancer.  My GP has referred me for a CT scan of both my kidneys and bowels as she initially thought I had diverticulitis.

Please can anyone offer me any advice, as I suffer terrible from anxiety and this has got me not being able to eat, sleep or function normally.

The blood in my urine was found on Monday (19 March 2018) and Thank You in advance to anyone who replies.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sharon,  I have been experiencing many UTIs over the last 12 months and am always told that blood is in the sample being examined.  An ultrasound did reveal a “grey area” on the bladder and I spent the next 8 weeks to the operation worrying that I had bladder cancer after one consultant told me it couldn’t be anything other than a tumour.  Luckily for me when they removed it, it turned out to be a benign polyp.  Still getting UTIs and blood shows under the microscope but apparently that is common with UTIs.  Having said that, any blood coming from any  orifices should always be checked to rule out serious problems.  I have only one kidney and that is operating at between 30 and 37%, so I’m mighty relieved to have had that good need.  Following my experience, I hope that you will see that you can worry unnecessarily so please try and relax.  Certainly ensure that you do eat and healthily or you will go under, and also drink plenty of water.  Lots of good luck wishes.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply.

My GP has confirmed that I don't have a UTI (wish it had been).

Im just going out of my mind!!!

• Posted

Dear Sharon,

I had problems with my kidneys and was on dialysis for 5,months in 2014. Ill health can be an awful trial. I'm back to normal whatever that may be ..

The medical services normally react quickly and firmly, please don't overreact  to this problem, small amounts of blood may be a consequence of many medicines or drinks containing quinine like tonic water or ginger ale ! I've heard the same about grapefruit juice. Virtually any minor infection may give these results. 

Have a normal diet and early nights do try not to worry.

I had a close friend with breast cancer ten years ago, she is absolutely fine, totally recovered and back to work.

Do try not to worry, serious illnesses are fortunately very rare.

Regards, and best wishes, E x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply...........its so hard not to worry and I know I'm making myself ill. 

• Posted

Dear Sharon,

I was very,very lucky. A nurse described of me; 'I've heard of you, they call you, the man who stood up and walked away.' ! 

Unknown to me I had been ill my whole life ,but as no one ever told me, I never knew!

I volunteer for a kidney charity, there is a volunteer here who has had a kidney transplant, he is trekking to Everest base camp (with two others) to raise funds and awareness of kidney issues. 

Whatever happens you will survive, you will come out on the other side with confidence and experience and be a better person too. Please have a cup of tea, wash your hands and face and stand up before the world. You obviously have a computer and have the dexterity and intelligence to use it. This is not true for 75% of the world. We are so blessed to have a health service whatever it's failings.

Please have a normal diet, people generally get well, Thinking of you : Eric F  x

• Posted

I have been to A&E this morning as was in agony with pain in my left flank and groin area.

Bloods - all normal

2 urine samples - microscopic blood found

CT Scan - kidneys etc all ok

They can’t explain why I’m getting the pain or blood in the urine?  

Im just so confused.

• Posted

Dear Sharon,

I wish I knew, or could write the one word that would give you peace of mind, because the not knowing, allows any fear to grow in your mind. 

All it can do is to show you that this pain irritating and worrying as it is, doesn't seem to be indicating any serious issue or condition within your body. Many people have pain in various parts of the body and despite testing no cause is ever found. But go back to your G.P.s and explain that the pain is affecting your life, be open about your concerns and ask about being referred to a Nephologist.

If you have a friend or relative in a different part of the country consider a temporary registration with a G.P. This would at least give you a second opinion so to speak.

Sorry I can't come up with some wonderful answer, bless you, get well E 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.