I HAVE pinworms. Need Canadians.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m 14 year old female and I know u have pinworms. I’ve seen them several times on the toilet paper moving and I took a video of one in my anus. Basically I can’t tell my dad (no mother) so please don’t suggest it. My anus is mildly itchy during the day and extremely itchy at night to the point where I can’t sleep. It’s Saturday right now and I’m at my cottage so I can’t go buy any medicine. But on Monday I plan to go to shoppers drug mart. Any Canadian know if They have it otc? I’m sure they do. Also what brand should I be getting? And what section would they be in? I guess I could ask the pharmacist as long as know one else it there. I have a cover story if they ask why I’m buying it. Also I have a chive plant growing in my backyard so I plan to eat 6 leaves a day. Right now the only thing I’ve been doing is putting Vaseline on my anus. The problem is that it’s a kind that has a scent and idk if that’s attracting more worms. Also a couple more things, what’s the best time to take pinworm medicine in the day? I’m going to write what I’ll be doing to get rid of pinworms and then after I’ll rewrite every question I’ve put in my post. 

When I buy the pinworms medicine I will also buy wipes and hand sanitizer. 

I will take the medicine three times in three weeks. 

I will eat 6 chives leaves a day for two weeks.

I will use wipes after every bowel movement.

I will use hand sanitizers throughout the day regularly. 

I will Apply vaseline on my anus at night.

I will put socks on my hand to prevent scratching and will make a big effort not to touch my face.

Here are all the questions Ives asked plus more:

1. Anyone know if they sell pinworm medicine otc at Shoppers Drug Mart and in which section it is?

2. What kind works best?

3. When is the best time in the day to take the first dose?

4. Any other useful tips?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi I’m a 15 year old who has pinworms too. Don’t worry about them as you will get rid of them . I haven’t yet but that’s because I’m on my second part of treatment . Everytime you scratch your butt or wipe wash your hands. And you MUST wash your bedsheet every 3 days maximum at 60 degrees . I’m not sure if they sell this in Canada but it’s worth a try. For the first part of treatment I used what it’s called Giardinophyt. It’s very cheap and can find online.I took it every morning for 10 days. Then I paused for 1 week and took every morning for 10 days again. What’s extremely important is that your entire family gets treated 1/3 of people with pinworms have no symptoms. 

Wash your butt every morning even if there was no itching . And change underwear , put the used underwear in a bag until it gets washed. Same for sleeping trousers but not as much. I’m concerned for ur family tho . So if you can’t tell them then it makes everything a lot  harder as they would need to follow through this regiment or else there’s no point doing it just yourself .

Putting Vaseline to your anus might help with itching, but in sometimes may make the worms migrate to vagina . That happened to me but I think they would die anyway as they can’t eat anything there but does cause vaginal infection.

This might all seem crazy  but telling someone is so important and scary at first but trust me it’s worth it a bit of embarrassment . I told my dad with so much awkwardness and yucky ness yet now I’m happy I told him as he knows what to do and get rid of these worms .

Ginger and garlic works but doesn’t kill all eggs . Eat 1 teaspoon of sugar mixed with spirit of turpentine ( can get at pharmacy) and shredded carrots to push out worms.

For second part of treatment I’m going to use Nikworm. For instructions you can translate on google translate.

Hope this helps and also , don’t read all the horror stories in this forum. It got me in a state of depression and allot  people with pinworms do get cured in the end. GOOD LUCK <3

• Posted

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I honestly can’t tell my dad, there are 5 other people in my house and it would be so embarrassing! I’m thinking i could get rid of them even if they don’t know.  I could take the medicine the day my bed sheets get washed and always wash my hands before eating and all the time. The wipes I’ll buy I will use in the morning. Do you think it would be weird for me to go up to the pharmacy desk and ask there? Or should I just walk around the aisle and look?
  • Posted

Hi, I’m not Canadian, I am from the UK but hopefully I can provide some help.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but threadworms spread like wild fire. If you have them then it’s extremely likely at least 1 of the other 5 people living in your household has them too if not everyone. If that’s the case and they’re not treated at exactly the same time as you you’ll just continue to pick up the infection over and over regardless because no one else will be aware that they should be extra careful and whatever worms they have won’t be killed off and th cycle is being allowed to continue again and again.  

I’ve read that hand sanitiser is useless as it does not kill eggs, however sunlight is said to. So I’d leave your curtains open during the day. Shower every morning as soon as you wake up, change all clothes- underwear in particular, and do it carefully as eggs can be swallowed from them becoming airborne if shaken. Vaseline is quite moist and greasy so that can also create irritation, so you could try baby powder (just a suggestion) it absorbs all the moisture back there. 

Hand cream will be useful, as all the hand washing will make your hands super dry and sore. Wash hand towels and rinse off everything before putting it by your mouth, that includes cutlery and toothbrushes.  

Ovex seems to be the only thing on the market (remember I’m not Canadian so there might be something else for you) most if not all worm medication available works by starving them of glucose and that’s how they die out, so u might still experience discomfort a few days after medication as starvation is not and instant kill. As for the best time to do it, sooner rather than later but as long as you take the medication two weeks apart exactly you should be okay. Apparently they reinfect after about 7-10 days after the first dosage, after any eggs inside have hatched. I’d say one tablet a week for 3 weeks is acceptable if it gives you piece of mind.  

All the best, 

Good luck

• Posted

Thank you for your comment. If I don’t tell my family and take the medicine as long as I don’t re ingest anything I should be fine right? Also any way for me relieve the itching? It’s so bad I hate it.
    • Posted

Pinworm eggs are microscopic and every night when u itch the female pinworms lays about 10,000-15,000 eggs on ur anus . The glue she used to stick them on is what’s causing the irritation and the fact that the worm is moving . In life you need to get through a bit of embarrassement to achieve your goals. Even if you try extremely hard to not reingest eggs, there will always be one or two that will get transported onto your hands and gradually in your mouth. Which is extremely important to tell your family. Or else you might be having these little suckers for a loooong time . If you really don’t want to tell your parents , you can go to the pharmacy ,get medicine etc and tell them to take this just to make sure they don’t have it in case and to keep strict hygiene . But I would go with telling them to make is simpler . Good luck
    • Posted

Any tips for telling my dad? I think I’m going to tell him. I have a doctors appointment the 8th and I could bring it up them.
    • Posted

Yeah I think that’s for the best.  You can take two approaches, either be upfront and say something like “Dad, I have threadworms and I’m getting treatment for it” and just present the medication when you get your hands on it, or approach and explain your concern about the symptoms and say you’ve been reading up and you think it might be worms, the only problem with the second option is that he might brush it off, and downplay it. But it’s up to you, lucky you live with your own family and not housemates or a romantic partner’s family. Your own family will not judge you, and you’ll be able to get support from them. You’ll be fine, once it’s out you’ll feel a sense of relief bottling it up is the worst thing u can do. It gets more complicated when you end up infecting people who aren’t in your immediate family and having to tell them, or at least feeling obligated to. Parents usually have experience  with worms anyway. For all you know you could have had them already as a very small child, so he may not be as surprised as u may think.

Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your help. I’ve been crying for hours, I have no idea what to do. It’s so embarrassing. I want to tell my dad but it’s not easy even though when I had lice I just told him even though pinworms are more common, he also bought me my first bra, i told him when I got my period and he bought me pads and i even asked him if I could shave my legs. I really don’t want the other children there all around my age to know it was me. Although I bet some of them already have it. I’m thinking of saying something along the lines of “My butt hole was really itchy and when I went to the bathroom to wipe there was a worm that was moving, I did research and I think it’s pinworms”. Thoughts? Now just to find the right time to say that. 
    • Posted

I’m so proud of you. I know how embarrassing it feels , but if your dad bought you your bra and pads, it means how much he cares about you. So telling  him you have a common parasite shouldn’t be as bad and he’ll definitely take in consideration getting rid of them . I wish I had a dad like that, my dad doesn’t even know when I started My  period as I’m still to embarrassed to bring up that topic .
    • Posted

Thank you so much for answering my questions, you’re the only that has. I haven’t told my dad yet, every time I try I have a panic attack and I’m  still trying to find the right time. I have a dr appointment on the 8th but I think it would be better for my dad to hear it from me first. I’ll keep you updated. Also the itching is starting to go down, I’ve been eating chive leaves for a couple days. Could that be helping?
    • Posted

Continue eating the leaves and try not to eat sugar like chocolate etc. I’m very sure he will understand you and support and help you . smile
    • Posted

I just told my dad, he was extremely supportive. I’m going to the doctors next week Friday for my asthma and I will bring it up then  hopefully I will get a script for medication without having to do any tests because I’ve already seen one.
    • Posted

I went to the doctor today, he gave me a script for mebendazole and told me to take it today and in 2 weeks. He just prescribed it for me and didn’t give me special instructions. I changed my bedsheets and towels tho. Should I keep eating chive leaves or stop?
    • Posted

Keep eating chive leaves for as long as you want, maybe eat garlic mixed with ginger and pumpkin seeds just to make sure you 100% get rid of them. However the problem is that pinworms are very infectious so if you do get rid of them there’s a big chance of getting them again. Wash your bedsheets , pants ,towels, etc every 3 days MAXIMUM at 60 degree temperature to kill eggs. Hope this helps smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.