I have Polymyalgia but have a particular pain in one hip.

Posted , 11 users are following.

I am a complete novice on this site and this is my first posting, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the pain I have been getting in one hip, which means that I can only walk slowly with the aid of a stick for very short distances. I am taking 20mg of prednisone a day which seems to be keeping the other joints in check but not this one. I'm wondering if the problem might have another cause but so far my doctor is a bit nonplussed and doesn't seem to know how to treat it.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My hip pain turned out to be referred pain from my spine.  Apparently the muscles in my back were, as my therapist put it, "hard as bricks".  She did some therapy (dry needling) over a few visits which sorted it out for me.  I had been x-rayed prior to this and no arthritis in hip.  

• Posted

I have one hip that's very painful still . It's an inflamed bursa ( bursitis) .  Which won't show up on an X-ray . You may need a MRI 

• Posted

Thanks! I can't have an MRI for medical reasons...but it sounds like it might be bursitis.  I see the physical therapist on Friday for eval...she's way better at figuring things out than my doc.  She fixed bursitis in my other hip (prior to pmr) 6 years ago.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.