I have real problems 6 months after total knee replacement

Posted , 11 users are following.

i had TKR 26/02/15. All went well, been back to near normal for 3 months or so. Had fantastic holiday where I swam, did all excercises in the pool, had 2 weeks no pain in any of my useless joints. Woke up on Monday this week with terrible pain just below knee cap, thought I had turned funny in bed, I was in so much pain today  I saw my doctor. She thinks I might have an infection in the replaced knee, bloods and xrays will tell her. I have just looked up what this means, not good possible the replacement will have to come out to get rid of the infection and then start again. 

I did not realise that at six months plus this could still happen? Also have had xrays on my good knee, this is not as good as I thought, it will need to go. At the moment I am in a turmoil. 

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Why oh why would all three have to be done at the same time

I think that is totally mentally and physically too much to do to yourself. Sure you may need to have those surgeries done but come on

• Posted

Sorry you are having such a hard time.

I had TKR 3 years ago with none of the problems you are having.

However I do know someone who had TKR 6 weeks or so before me and she experienced all these problems. She seems OK now but I can't remember what happened in the end. I don't think she had to have the replacement replaced and start again though.

When I had my TKR they did say to me that it would be about ayear before I really began to feel the benefits of it and I reckon that was about right.

So really you are only half way there.

A year sounds a long time but if that what it takes, it is better to know these things from the beginning.

Hope this settles down for you and you are able to have your other knee replaced without all these problems.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sarah xxx

• Posted

Thanks. I also told up to a year, but for last couple months I have been fantastic, walking 5-10 miles. Doing all the things I did before, except kneeing. Then out of blue this! Resting it and taking meds and will see what real problem is.x
  • Posted

Oh Louise, you poor thing sad

Im at six months out now on TKR #1, and am still getting some pain, but I put it down to having to work it harder than normal due to my other one being completely shot.

Every twinge and pain now sends me into a panic, in case there is a real problem and it delays TKR#2, scheduled for October 29th. 

I really, really hope your tests come back with a good outcome for you. 

Re the Tramadol, one of the Drs in my Practice call it a "Dirty" drug, and is very reluctant to prescribe it. The last time I saw him, he calculated the number of days between my appointment and my Surgery, and prescribed the minimum he could to get me through! Thankfully, my lovley GP Jennifer, who I see VERY regularly DOESNT take this view, and is very understanding when I keep having to get refills before my repeat script is due! I totally get what you mean about the drugs not touching it though, some days I feel like the only option is to go to A&E as the pain is so horrendous eek

Fingers crossed that you improve soon, I really feel your pain xx

• Posted

Hi Terri, remember you well, I to have had problems with good one, thought it just because I was relying on it to much. Ex rays show that it is totally shot so will need to have that one done at some time, at moment theming is manageable, then bang the pain from the operated one hit me it feels worse than it did on the early days it was that bad I took 2 dyhydrocodeine tablets plus 2 tramadol  Thursday night. I told go she just went nooooooo don't do again, I was so desparate and it made it managable still all this is the journey for TKR. I am lucky go gave P.X. For tramadol with no problem. Just take with paracetomol not dyhydrocodeine.  How is your daughter now. And did you get away in August I seem to remember you had a holiday booked. Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi

I had a weeks holiday in July, which was nice but I was really starting to struggle by then. My big holiday is in less than 3 weeks, 5 1/2 flight to Egypt eek

I wish I hadnt booked it now, but Ill try and make the best of it.

My daughters doing really well thanks, she starts a phased return to work on Monday - shes been off sick for 6 months, so its going to be a bit of a shock to the system for her. The surgery was pretty brutal, and shes been in tons of pain (the surgeon was operating for 4 hours) but fingers crossed its been completely successful. She has a follow up in October so hopefully that will see her fully discharge.  

Hope you start to feel better and get some respite from your pain xx

• Posted

I feel awful with what you are going thru😪 

i am 8 weeks and 4 days and I had a horrible set back. I fell last Tuesday on my right side. Did go to hospital and tkr was fine on my left knee but sprained my right foot and ankle. I am so black and blue and the fall has made my body so sore. It is difficult to get to a sitting position, turn over and my walking is all off. I am not someone who crys but I have been almost uncontrollably sobbing. My left knee that was operated on is painful (even though they say it is fine. Very hard to do any exercises but using ice all day long. I do have a good bend and my leg can straighten all the way but I am sooooooo discouraged and down.

• Posted

Rest for awhile. Trying to excercise in pain is really an unproductive use of energy. Keep icing, hydrating and even though you probably don't feel like it, try and eat nourishing foods
    • Posted

Omg you poor thing. This is the very thing I dreaded. luckily I have not had a fall. You take care and go gentle on your exercises. Take care xx
  • Posted

I sure hope you do not have an infection. 😪

please let us know what X-rays and blood work shows. I will be praying for you

• Posted

So sorry Louise, this has put a fear in me.  This  happening to you out of the blue is scary.  I didn't realize that  could happen after six months either. I am only three weeks out but have been suffering from nerve pain in my knee which  keeps me down a lot and on meds often.  I hope and pray for you that your knee is not infected. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.