I have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in both knees and wrists.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Although the pain initially started in my knees which has been ongoing for about three months, the last couple of months the pain has mostly been in my foot/ankle and despite taking anti inflammatories and pain killers, I am still finding it extremely difficult to walk even short distances and the pain is extremely severe when 'weight bearing' I am able to do some basic excercises but as a keen walker am finding it very frustrating. I had X-rays which showed up the osteoarthritis in knees and wrists but not in foot. Is this normal and would appreciate any feedback. Have taken naproxen and paracetamol together without much relief. Have also tried voltarol.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you thought of taking ginger or tumeric or bromelian or rosehip?
    • Posted

No but will try anything that may help at the moment especially natural remedies. Thank you for replying.
  • Posted

Stretching exercises are best and walking but I know what you mean, I'm double dosing and still in pain. Volteral does nothing, but I do find relief when walking. I have it in my spine and pelvis but my knee and ankle are fine, even though I get pain in them. 
    • Posted

Thanks will keep up excercises but really missing being able to walk far at moment.
  • Posted

I have had osteoarthritis in my knees and shoulder for many years.  I live in NZ having emigrated from Leeds 41 years.  I visit the Rheumatologmy Clinic at my local hospital and have cortisone injections.  I go about every 3 months.  They will only give 2 injections at a time, so I have both knees and then a month or so later have injections in my shoulders. I find them very effective.  I have recently developed osteoporosis in my spine as well as 4 compression fractures.  Am trying to get some help from my GP as I am in constant pain.
  • Posted

you probly have pain in your foot due to the way you walk with the pain you have , i had the same while weight bearing and had a replacement 4 montha ago and now waiting for the other knee to be done , i ended up on morphine for the pain . because of the pain when i was weight bearing i took to swimming and now do over a mile per week day and have found that this helps ,
    • Posted

Thank you for your feedback, pleased you are getting some relief now, can't swim unfortunately but definitely need to find some excercises to replace the walking together with some pain relief that works!

• Posted

Hi Colbie - I have had osteoarthritis in both my knees and both of my shoulders for many years and have regular cortisone injections which I find give me great relief.  Limited with pain relief as I am allergic to anti-inflammatories and codeine.  Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.