I have recently developed IBS. Any advice/tips???

Posted , 6 users are following.

As the title says - not long ago I was diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). I have been going through quite a lot of stress, and IBS has became a bit of a problem.

I know that the best advice is to eliminate stress. But this is of course hard to do (work, univeristy, relationships etc) I am generally a rather paranoid person (but I have been better recently!)

I guess my question is: how many of you suffer from it? As far as I can tell from research I did it is quite common nowadays. So I wondered whether there is some dietary advice you could give me, or maybe types of excercise, or really just any other kind of advice would be appreciated! Maybe some stories from people who managed to beat it? Thank you very much in advance!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there - it is relatively common and affect everybody differently. You need to have a cognitive approach and a dietary one to solve it.

CBT is helpful, mindfulness including meditation has really improved mine but for you it might be therapy.

On a dietary level, it will be individual but look at the FODMAP diet as an option to try to rule out anything specific. I now know that leeks are a major trigger for me but have struggled to identify other specifics. I tend to stay away from a lot of deep fried food.

The removal of stress is critical so try the headspace app, it really helps!

good luck!

• Posted

welcome to the club! ive had it since 2009 and it has changed my life. i dont do the same things i use to and it use to control my life really badly. now i have gotten ontop of it its not as bad. i was the same as you-started off after a very stressful period in my life (i also developed fibromyalgia because of this). people talk of the fodmap diet. for me i find it hard to follow so i just done my own trial and error and found what food and drink works and doesnt work for me. caffine, dairy, garlic, onion, sugary drinks to name a few. everybody is different-i know a girl with IBS who says shes fine on dairy. also do yoga. its wonderful at building core stability which is suppose to help with IBS and it helps with relaxation too and calming the mind. ive learned the mind is a very powerful tool and the more you think about things and let them get to you, the worse the problem becomes. trial and error your diet and train your mind to remain calm (easier said than done right). you will get there.

• Posted

I've suffered from IBS from a young age but was diagnosed when I was around 17 (now 26) For me knowing what my triggers are helped. Keep a diary and write down everything you eat and then note when you have an IBS attack - Whether that be rushing to the loo, cramps or both or however your IBS shows up (I also found it helpful to write down my symptoms). I also used to write down in my diary when I felt stressed and the date. You will soon be able to see a pattern and what links to what.

Everyone's IBS reacts differently to different food which is why, as I said above, a food diary is great to find out what you can and cant eat. I've found I can't have spicy food, nuts, full fat fizzy drinks and not a lot of dairy. When you have an attack look back at all the times this has happened and what the common denominator is.

Try talking to your Dr's about different medication you can take for IBS. They can give you antispasmodics to help calm down the stomach and stop the cramping after you eat or any laxatives or anti diarrhoea tablets.

What works for one might not work for another so try all different things to find what works best for you. Keeping active can help, walking, swimming, going for a jog around the block. Also yoga/breathing exercises. When I have an attack and have to run to the loo I try and calm myself down cause the first thing you do is panic and get worked up. Sit in the bathroom do what you have to do but close your eyes and focus on your breathing. Breathe in slowly on 4 and hold for 4 and breathe out on 4 and keep doing so until you feel completely calm and you have done what you needed too. This can also help with cramps and take your mind off your stomach. As for food try not to overdo it and I found eating smaller meals frequently kind of helped.

As someone has already said look into FODMAP diet. See if that can help you in anyway!

It's all trial and error with IBS and what works well with you and your body.My IBS really calmed down in my 20's with the odd flare up here and there but it was down to what I ate and eliminating as much stress as I could but as of recently it's come back due to surgery which has affected my whole digestive system so i'm going through it from the start again, you're not alone in this. When I first read into IBS it was saying 1/10 people have it (this might have changed since then!)

Hoping this helps and that your IBS gets better!

B

• Posted

My IBS began because of stress alone and food doesn't cause it to flare up. I find that for the most part I can avoid stress. However, not all stress affects my IBS. I was in a car accident on Boxing Day and my IBS didn't get triggered. If stress does affect my IBS, I take an antispasmodic immediately so that the pain doesn't get worse. On occasion, I have had bad diarrhoea from my IBS when I can't cope with stress, but Imodium clears this up. This is all I do really to treat IBS.

IBS is a very individual thing and what works for one person, won't work for others. If you are experiencing symptoms after eating, it may be a food(s) is upsetting your gut. If this is the case, try a food diary or the Low Fodmap Diet to identify the problem food. Ask your doctor to prescribe you an antispasmodic or try an over the counter remedy, My doctor prescribed me Mebeverine which made my symptoms far worse and this led to more health anxiety because I thought I had something more serious. I found an OTC antispasmodic was far better. It is all very much a trial and error thing.

I hope this helps a little.

• Posted

I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome and it sucks so much I take a medication called dicyclomine it called bentyl it helps me with my irritable bowel syndrome

• Posted

As the title says - not long ago I was diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). I have been going through quite a lot of stress, and IBS has became a bit of a problem. easybib

I know that the best advice is to eliminate stress. But this is of course hard to do (work, univeristy, relationships etc) I am generally a rather paranoid irs.gov person (but I have been better recently!)

I guess my question is: how many of you suffer from it? As far as I can tell from research I did it is quite common nowadays. So I wondered whether there is some dietary advice you could give me, or maybe types of excercise, or really just any other kind of advice would be appreciated! Maybe some stories from people who managed to beat it? Thank you very much in advance! fedloan

ISSUE SOLVED!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.