I have recurring cystitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have just joined the forum.  I am a 57 year old lady having recurring water infections and it's really getting me down.  I am so fed up of taking antibiotics which work but the infection soon returns.  I also have a symptom which I wonder if anyone else has experienced; my vagina feels kind of 'open' and uncomfortable.  I do have some post menopausal vaginal dryness so I try to keep lubricated.  I have no idea what this is.  I do try to drink lots of water and find that by the evening my symptoms are not so severe but in the morning it's really painful to wee.  Would appreciate any advice.

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I had terrible problems last year, as did a couple of friends.  I have been reduced to tears with the pain, and having given birth twice (the first of my sons was 9lb 10oz!) with no pain relief I can honestly say I'm no wimp.  One of my friends was told by her Dr. - ah yes, cystitis, the curse of the middle-aged woman....  Well that didn't exactly help anyone, but my Aunt mentioned a natural remedy called D-Mannose.  Its a natural sugar the molecules of which apparently bind to the bacteria which cause the problems and it all gets flushed out rather than adhering to the bladder wall.  I had a number of bouts last year, which were horrendous and we all know that antibiotics take a while to kick in and there is always the risk of recurrance.  Anyway I did a bit of research and looked at reviews on Amazon where women were saying amazing things about it & calling it life-changing & that it ought to be available on the NHS (I would agree with this).  You can get it in capsule form or in powder to dissolve in water.  I take one capsule each morning as a preventative and use the powder in water - few glasses in 24hrs, especially at bedtime if I think I can detect it starting.  I do hope this helps & you get some relief, I'd say its definitely worth a try.  Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Linda

Many thanks for this - I'll look into it.  Certainly seems as if we need to have an ongoing programme for prevention.  Thanks again

• Posted

Hi linda, I am trying out anything.  I had UTI for years and years from my twenties now 65.   It stopped when I stopped having sex with hubs.

Had my first bad bout at Christmas when I literally peed blood and  wet the floor b4 I could  reach the bathroom.  Soo embarrassing.  Had anti b's and a CT scan and camera job to check out inside. - all ok and clear surprisingly after the scare.  Now 4 months later the pain has returned but not the blood or wetting myself - so it looks like I am going to be cursed with this now I am older.  Before I go to the docs - for I suppose anti bs I am looking at anything else.  I will have a go at D Mannose definitely.  I am off tomorrow to H & B.

Thanks for the info.

This pain sure stinks - hot water botty is my bessie.

Regards

Gwen

• Posted

In my mid 20's I suffered with this so many times (always after sex) and it was horrible. I have a good routine now though and I have managed to avoid it for the last 5 years. Here is what I do: I always go to the loo straight after sex, and over the next 24 hours I will drink a soluble 1000mg vitamin C tablet (which I heard makes things more acidic and harder for the bacteria) and later on I always drink 3 glasses of water over the course of an hour, so I go to the loo a few times to keep the bacteria from being able to multiply. I always stay away from sugary drinks (this inlcudes cranberry!!) as I think sugar feeds the bacteria. Really simple but very effective for me. I really hope this helps someone as it used to make me so down suffering with it so regularly.
  • Posted

Hi I also have this same problem and its really making me feel depressed now as its so painful all the time. I have been on a course of antibiotics for almost a year taking one a night, but since January the problem has returned again. I have been treated with antibiotics but after a few days it comes back again. I am now waiting to have a cystoctomy to see what is causing the problem and I am unable to drink cranberry juice as I'm on blood thinning medication. I am 69 and just don't feel I can go on like this all the time as its getting me down and making me feel so awful. Like you my pain seems to get easier as the day goes on and after drinking plenty, but I am now back on a week long course of antibiotics yet again.  I am also waiting to go into hospital for knee surgery but with this problem ongoing it might prevent my surgery taking place.

• Posted

Will look into this treatment if I can take it and let you all know how I get on.
  • Posted

I too have just joined the forum. I am a 53 year old lady and I too have been suffering with recurring water infections. I have to keep a store of antibiotics as the symptoms come on so quickly. If I don't drink at least two litres of water a day I can guarantee I will have an attack. All sorts of things seem to trigger it including sex. I am having a cystoscopy on Monday so maybe this will pinpoint a cause but I'm not holding my breath. This is ruining my life I and I feel terrible for my husband. I am starting a new job on Monday and I'm terrified I will be ill and have to take time off. I could sit and cry I feel so depressed. You say your vagina feels open well I have a similar feeling but at times it feels as if there is somehing stuck in there it is such an odd feeling. I had a coil fitted three years ago and I'm beginning to wonder if there is a connection although my doctor tells me no!! It does give me some consulation that I am not alone which is why I have joined this forum.
    • Posted

Hi Kerry I am sat here with tears in my eyes as that's exactly how I feel at the moment with the awful pain and discomfort I have. I am drinking all day by the glass full and like you said if you drink lots of water or in my case barley water it eases the discomfort and pain when you go to the loo. I also have this awful feeling down below especially when sitting or standing. I will be 70 in June and sex is not on the agenda due mainly to this constant problem I have. I started a course of marshmallow root herbal therapy on Monday but as I'm on other medication I can't take the first dose until 3.0 pm which is 6 hours after my meds. I do then take the herbal pills three times a day but so far not sure if they are working.  I am waiting to have a cystoscopy as my problems have been going on for two years now, although they were under control for about 9 months until recently.  I hope your cystoscopy can find a cause of your problems.
    • Posted

Hello Gilly. It's such a horrible thing isn't it. I live every day in fear of the cystitus returning. I am paranoid about drinking enough water each day. I feel so sorry for you as I know exactly how you feel. I really hope your cystoscopy appointment will be soon so you too can get some answers. Like you sex is the last thing on my mind. At present my husband is understanding I just hope that lasts!! I take Pro-biotic tablets and cranberry herbal pills but I may visit the health shop at the weekend to see if they can recommend anything else.
    • Posted

Hi Kerry, Thank you for your message regarding the cystitis. I can't take anything which contains cranberry but I have like you getting paranoid about drinking plenty of water etc. I was so low yesterday that I almost rang my GP, but I thought he will only give me more antibiotics and if they're not working what is the point. I suffer with pain of arthritis every day but this cystitis is worse than any other pain and its so depressing. I picked up a leaflet on cystoscopy yesterday when I was at the hospital with my husband, so at least I know what to expect now when I do have the cystoscopy.  The consultant told me not to wear trousers and to wear loose underwear. He also told me after I've passed a motion to wipe myself normally with toilet paper, then to wipe myself again at least three times using wet wipes, so I am doing everything he has advised but still got the infection.  I am hoping that the marshmallow tea will help me but if you can take cranberry it might be worth you trying the D-Mannose which you can buy from health food shops such as Holland and Barratt. 
  • Posted

I have had this since my 20s when became sexually active - 3 weekly-  still is  and found probably infecting myself giving partner NSU .This has ruined relationships  having them be settled & children.But I did get extensive research into them  in 1969 Royal Free involving scarred kidneys fatty liver .They found hidden spina bifida double ureters [ had urthrotomy  ]neurogenic bladder can'catheterise  abnormal EEG .

Thatchers antibiotic policy caused me to be targetted out of work as breathless with movement problems .

For 30 yrs had customised rotated antibiotics this had kept kidneys clear .However because no longer have pain difficult to detect  .Spinal spasity & extreme pain was relieved by uti medication & was worse when pyuria 89 .This can mean sepsis  which can be fatal.

Now moved house to find GPs not transferring hospital appts wanting to start at square one having to press for possible sacral stimulator.Had heart attack 10 yrs ago poor oxygen pumping .Installations were suggested ie :coating of bladder NB COABF - Cystitus Overactive Bladder Foundation 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.