I have right wrist osteoarthritis. Can anyone explain what happens when having a bone stem cell in

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am 54 and I have mild osteoarthritis of the base of the thumb. My work in a lab involves a lot of repetitive movements, small containers, lots of them, over 36 years. I can't even write now without pain. Everything I do is a pain: cooking, exercising, holding a cup, all. I am tempted to have a stem cell injection, as expensive as that is, before all the cartilage is worn out when only an operation might help.

From all I read so far, bone marrow aspirate seems to be the best option for wrist osteoarthritis. What exactly do the clinician do with the bone marrow after collection, before injecting it back?

Is the collection of bone marrow really painful?

Can I go to work straight after the injection?

In comparison, the hyaluronic acid injections, are they any good in long term?

I do not want to inject my wrist (that alone must be painful) with something which is very short lasting.

I would love to hear from real people who had such treatment.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

In my experience of coping with arthritic joints it's best to rest wrist and wear a brace. Avoid surgery and non use will allow it time to adjust and heal.

I think the stem cell injection has been used for various arthritic joints depending on how much damage is to the joint used with a numbing agent. Once that wears off it really doesn't help with the pain. Insurance doesn't cover it for a reason. It really is up to you what you want to do to treat this awful unrelenting disease.

Does it work? Research so far doesn’t show that a stem cell treatment alone cures osteoarthritis.

Also the research doesn't show that the treatment can rebuild a damaged joint in people who have been living with osteoarthritis for a while or who have advanced osteoarthritis.

I have had wrist arthritis for years and manage the pain by knowing what the triggers are and use mindfulnes to avoid painful movements .

• Edited

That's very true, I have better days and very bad ones. I have already cut some activities and have adjustments at work. I am 54 and still have years to go until retirement. The hand therapist calls it mild OA, and I am thinking that if I do not try a stem injection now, in years might be too late if all the cartilage corrodes. I am very worried of infection in the wrist, the pain at the collection point. I can't have it done in UK, because is £6000 first shot, then £1000 more for any other joint if needed. My mind it's spiralling all the negatives.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.