I have Scoliosis, Kyphosis, Lordosis and spondylolisisthesis.Does Yoga and pilates help?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, 

I am a 42 years old man and i know i had scoliosis, kyphosis and lordosis since i was in my teens. But i did not do anything for it. A year and half ago i felt sever pain in my lower pack and discovered that i also have spondylolisthisis. 

I was wondering if anyone knows if pilates and yoga can help improving this situation

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I am not a medical practitioner, but I will share what I believe to be true. Yoga is too intense; pilates is wonderful for pain and strengthening but I do not believe that either one will reduce your curvature depending on how big it is. Pilates is expensive, but if you can get a small group class at the very least that uses a reformer. I think mat pilates is too difficult. I would then find a neurosurgeon, research his credentials, and have him follow you every six months or so. Best of luck to you. I am so sorry you are going through this. It is a terrible condition but the surgeries are getting better and better with each passing year. No one can make that decision for you, and I certainly am not qualified, except to say there are Pilates instructors that are trained in scoliosis and that might be a good place to start.
    • Posted

Thanks Lasvegasgirl. i will search and see if i find any local places that do pilates. I thought of surgery but i'm not too old for that? And they are soo expensive. And i heard that when you have surgery for fixing curvature then you do not have all the range of motion that you have without the surgery. Is that true?

• Posted

Hi Marioscy,

You are statistically on the young side for adult scoliosis correction, because most of us wait until we have exhausted all other options and can't take the pain anymore. That is usually mid-sixties. If you can control your pain with the proper exercise protocol that would obviously be preferable. I cannot conceive of how you will get scoliosis surgery unless you have insurance to cover all the costs. Perhaps people in their sixties opt for surgery because once you are on medicare you will have no expenses as long as you buy a supplement to pay the 80% medicare doesn't pay. There are instances where, if your doctor says you are in too much pain to work, you could go on social security disability. I am not going to mislead you, it is difficult to get and often requires good legal counsel. You would then have to determine what your benefits would be and if it is enough for you to live on. I don't know the details of your deformity, but your flexibility after surgery depends on how many levels you have fused, and it is not an easy recovery in many cases. I am a little nervous about giving to much advice publicly, because I have no medical training. I can offer that I would perhaps talk to a neurosurgeon as well as an ortho doctor and see what feels right to you. I can say that I did feel much stronger and had less pain when I did Pilates, so I am hoping that will help. Pilates and swimming. At your age, you are young enough that if you can get physically fit through those preferred activities, you may be surprised at how much better you feel. Surgery is always a last resort. I hope this has helped. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. LVG

• Posted

Hi, I don't have all of your conditions, but I did have an upper scoliosis curve corrected when I was a child. In my late 40s, I began having severe, crippling lower back pain due to a compensatory curve that developed in my tailbone. You made it worse, but Bikram Yoga, which is practice in a hot humid room, was a lifesaver for me. I went from being crippled four and a half years ago, to today being completely able-bodied and pain free. Hope this helps!

• Posted

Edit: regular yoga made it worse 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.