I have severe eyelid droop over one eye

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had severe pressure over my face especially my nose, and in May I started to get episodes of severe eyelid droop which means I can't see out of my right eye. Just before this happens I get a sort of tingling up the righthandside of the back of my head. I have also started to get headaches which I had been putting down to sinusitis, which has been ruled out by the ENT department. I have seen a neurologist, who has referred me for an EMG and an MRI, but there is a very long wait for tests on the NHS, and I'm wondering if there's anyone out there with similar symptoms. The neurologist wants to rule out Myasthenia gravis, but doesn't seem to have much idea as to what is going on.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI gillian, are you better now?  Do the doctors mention checking out your thyroid function too ?
    • Posted

No Mary I'm not better. I'm waiting for an EMG and an MRI which on the NHS could take months.

The neurologist doessn't seem to have much idea, but thinks it could be myasthenia gravis. I have been checked for a thyroid problem and been given the all clear on that.

Meanwhile I cant drive as I never know when my eyebrow is going to drop, and it completely covers one eye, along with a severe headache and pressure over the right handside of my face.

I have also developed a tremor when holding a cup of tea.

• Posted

I have finally found out what my problem is. I have Hemifacial spasm, and at the moment am having botox injections to control it, which I have to say I'm not impressed with. The first lasted 6 weeks and the second only 0 days. I'm now waiting for my next appointment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.