I have shingles and would like some help

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello.

About a couple of weeks ago, I saw a rash on my right side, did not know what it was, it did not hurt or anything. The following day I went to see a Dr. and was told I have shingles and started taking the antiviral medication right away. During my first week, I was unwell, I couldn't go to work. On the second week, I went back to work, my pain is unbearable. I tried to take some pain killers but made me drowzy and couldn't do much. So I stopped, I take tylenol before going to bed and rub an anti-itching cream around the area but not where the rash and vesicles appeared. I have been applying calamine on the rash daily and all the vesicles seem have dried. I don't know how to put up with the pain, and I am worried this is going to take very long. I am at the end of my second week and the pain is getting worse. What am I supposed to do. Many thanks for taking the time to read my concerns and trying to help out.

Lilly

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lillyta

I suffered from severe shingles on my left shoulder blade area and around under and into my left breast.  I was given anti virals after a phone consultation with my GP  I was offered numerous strong pain killers but decided to cope on anti inflammatory tablets.  I used an electric heat pad (hot water bottles would suffice) which I wrapped around my side/breast.  I could not move without it.  I have never experienced pain so bad but the anti-inflammatories and the heat made it bearable. Obviously, there are many people who could not cope without strong painkillers but I got through it and it is most certainly worth trying.   Good luck.  It will eventually ease and go away completely.

• Posted

It's also worth a shot to ask for the shingles immunization. I was given it after I had shingles and since then I have fewer and far between outbreaks. 

So so sorry to hear you have singles. A numbing prescription is also helpful. But in my case anti virals didn't help as much as the immunization for shingles. 

Take care are and hope you ask your doc for the immunization.

• Posted

Hi,

​Thank you for your reply. I told my doctor about the shot and he told me that it is too late for now since I already got the shingles, he said I have to wait for 1 year before I can get immunized.

• Posted

Hi Lillyta!

First, I am so sorry you are going through this process.

Herpes Zoster Shingles is an excruciating disease and what many physicians fail to tell patients is that the pain often worsens the first two to three weeks. Second, the pain increases with any activity or movement. The fatigue and exhaustion can continue for months after the rash and pain have disappeared. It is in your best interest to rest and sleep the first few weeks if you can, as you cannot power through this disease. Please take the analgesic medications and stay home.

I was a single mother with Herpes Zoster Shingles (undiagnosed) who continued to work and power through this disease. I am left with recurrent episodes of Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twenty-one years. Another horrible consequence is having Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN if the pain is not well controlled by the end of the first month. Believe me, you want neither of these consequences.

I don't know your specific circumstances regarding sick time, analgesic medications you were prescribed, but I would ask for a strong Opioid such as Oxycodone for relief. Sometimes, cold compresses or ice packs help relieve pain. Also, a topical numbing agent such as Lidocaine patches by prescription or Solarcaine with Aloe Vera OTC can help soothe the pain.

If you absolutely must work, think about decreasing the hours to part-time or if you can work from home.

I hope I have helped you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

I am on week five and the pain has started to ease up. I have a severe case going around my stomach groin thigh and back. Sores have all dried but dark blotchy rash still there. I take adAsol 30 for pain but need a bottle of prune juice to take with it because it constipated me.  Give yourself lots of rest and you will heal quickly and the pain will subside in a couple of weeks. 
    • Posted

How are you feeling now Lydia? What are you taking for pain control?  I am beginning six week and still have a lot of discomfort in my hip and leg. Not severe nerve pain like I had the first few weeks. Still waiting for a full recovery. Take care and hope all is well with you

• Posted

Hello Sheila,

Thank you so much for asking. I have replied to you earlier but not sure what happened to the message. I am on my week 3. On week 1, I did not go to work. On week 2, I went to work and the pain got worse. This week I am staying home, I am not sure how much time I need off work.

I stopped taking the medication my doctor prescribed for pain, they make me drowsy and they are addictive. So I am taking Advil and I use gold bond cream anti itching/pain which is quite calming and soothing.  I am just worried if I have to miss work for too long, not sure if I can do that.

• Posted

Hi Lillyta I also quit pain medication that I was on as it constipated me and also addictive. I am now taking naproxen which is taken twice a day and has an anti inflammatory. It seems to help I am week six and the rash on my thigh looks really rough and red so I started using aloe vera gel which soothes the heat that I feel sometimes.  I thought I would be through this but I had such a severe case I guess it is taking a little longer. I still get exhausted if I do to much. So rest is the key. Hope yours heals faster than mine. Take care and look after yoursekf
    • Posted

On the rash itself the only think I use is calamine and nothing else. However, I use the anti pain cream around the area where it hurts. I am not sure if the rash itself hurts, there is so much pain in all my right side even where there is no rash. I am going to start using some essential oils made in coconut oil and see if eases up the symptoms.

• Posted

I feel your pain, I am 10 days in, exhausted  trying to get back into work but I could fall asleep standing up!   Discovered blisters between my toes today ... dr. Doesn't think it's shingles related. I am here to get thru this with you!

• Posted

If you are exhausted you really need to take time off work and rest. Your body is working at healing the virus that is raging in your body. So it is telling you to rest and don't fight it. Take care

• Posted

I also discovered some blisters between my toes without any rash, but I don't feel the pain that I feel under my right arm where the rash is. So I am not sure if it is shingles or not?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.