I have shingles on both breasts and down the centre of chest ares

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have shingles on both breasts and down the centre of chest. . is it likely to breaK out anywhere else?

i thought you could only get them on one side of body.. any advice appreciated

jen

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I am so sorry that you have Herpes Zoster-Shingles. It is certainly possible to have Herpes Zoster-Shingles, bilaterally. It can occur in multiple dermatomes, and recurrently.

It is more common to occur only on one side, and once.

Often, an individual may be immunocompromised with an autoimmune disorder, have taken corticosteroids, have IBS, cancer, asthma, which would make them more prone to shingles.

I hope you have started on an antiviral and complete the course. You need to have good pain control. Shingles can cause severe, lancinating pain, which often increases in the second week. If the pain is not well controlled, it often leads to PHN post herpetic neuropathy.

You do need to rest and sleep as you cannot power through this disease.

The accompanying symptoms include headache, chills, sweating, aches and pain, swollen lymph nodes, fatigue and exhaustion.

I would only wear cotton clothes over the rash.

Cool compresses and ice packs may help sooth the burning and itching. Hot showers usually worsen the pain.

Ointments and sprays containing lidocaine and benzocaine will help soothe the burning.

Please ask for a stronger analgesic if you are in severe pain.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles every 3 weeks in my right ear, mouth, and throat for the past 23 years and twice in my right eye, plus my right scalp.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.