I have shingles on my left arm right down to my wrist and now the left side of my neck. Can I go to

Posted , 6 users are following.

What can I do to help with the pain. I have a very safety sensitive job

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wayne. Ouch and I am so sorry that you have shingles as I have had them three times now. From all that I have learned stress is one of the worse things for them. And working is not a good idea because you need lots of rest and meds. This is one painful illness. Personally I don't think that you will find many people that have had shingles say they did not suffer with them. Have you been to the doctor yet? Have you seen Merry on here telling her story about shingles? What a dear she is? Please try, and I know it's not easy, to stress about your job  it will only make things worse. Good luck. Diane 

• Posted

May 2016 I developed shingles on the right side of my body (lower back, side and stomach.) It is now nearing the end of February and I've been off meds for about two weeks. I am pain free of the shingles and walking without nerve pain too. However, sometimes I get the tingling and itchy feeling that the shingles are coming back but, thus far it hasn't and I pray through Jesus to God that they never come back. When I was in full shingles and nerve pain, I did NOTHING. I got lots of rest and took my meds faithfully during . I dont feel that I can work now because of the damage from enduring the pain. I have to do house work, etc a little at a time because if not, I will start hurting. I do contribute stress as to my getting the shingles so I try to stay as clam as possible even though it's hard. I am afraid to take the shingles shot because I dont want anything associated with the shingles again. Hang in there for I pray there is a quicker cure so no one ever has to endure shingles again.

• Posted

Hi Wayne!

I am very sorry for your suffering!

Did you receive Antivirals? Which ones? for how long?

Have you been off from work for at least one to two weeks?

Were you given any pain medications?

How old are you?

What symptoms are you having?

The reason I ask is if you were just diagnosed with Shingles, you need to stay home and rest and sleep. The burning lancinating pain is going to get worse before it gets better.

Any activity including movement at work will make it excruciating.

Did the Physician prescribed any medication for pain?

When you say your work is safety sensitivity, are we talking government classified security clearance type, or patrolling and carrying a gun type, working in a corporate office with corporate clearance.

***If you have pain, you cannot think clearly. You should not be working

1. Your pain will only get worse, especially as it seems as you were just diagnosed as the rash is still spreading. The pain often gets worse the first and second week, believe me.

2. If you have any security clearance, or involved in a security sensitive job, when you have pain, you cannot think clearly. Your cognitive abilities are depleted.

The varicella Herpes virus is circulating in your entire body currently causing many symptoms including: headache, fever, chills and sweating aches and pains, malaise, fatigue and exhaustion. The fatigue and exhaustion can linger for months.

If you were not given any pain medications, and you have significant pain and no medication allergies, I would use Motrin alternating with Tylenol until you see a clinician and ask for a strong analgesic for pain.

Perhaps you could tell me how bad the pain is. If it is involving your entire arm and now your neck, I am feeling it is getting bad.

You can use cool compresses or ice, and Lidocaine cream or spray, or Solarcaine with Aloe Vera which has Lidocaine to numb the nerve endings.

You are considered contagious to anyone who has not had the chickenpox, including any pregnant female, as you can infect them with chickenpox.

Once all the vesicle-blisters turn to black scabs, you are no longer contagious.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States. I have had Herpes Zoster-Shingles in my right ear every three to five years for the past twenty-one years and twice in my right eye.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.