I have sjorgens symptons and need to know what tests to ask doctor to do?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I live in uk. For last three years I have had leaky gut with increasing food intolerances. For the last 6 months, my saliva glands have become more and more swollen and for the last a month my exhaustion is debilitating. Doctors aren't very helpful, so please could someone advise what tests I should have done to get a diagnosis. I am very frightened as my quality of life before this was pretty awful. Do u think it would be worth getting HRT as I have put weight on in last few months and am getting menopausal symptons....maybe HRT would calm Sjogrens?? Any supplements that maybe worth taking to combat fatigue? Thank you so much

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Honestly knowone can predict how long a flare will last, whether they'll even feel 100% inbetween the flares. But as everyone has said, with illnesses that last, you have to give your body the best possible treatment with the food you eat and the exercise you take as with any other chronic illnesses. However when the symptoms are overwhelming medications are best. I liked the suggestion for thyroid function test (your GP can order these) ask for TSH, t4,t3,free t4, free t3 and TPO's I have hashimotos (autoimmune underactive thyroid) and secondary Sjögren's (they seem to be quite common together)
  • Posted

Hi, I am sorry you're experiencing these feelings. I was finally diagnosed with the same 4 years ago. I had been complaining about exhaustion, dry eyes, dizziness, migraines etc but the GPs ignored all. I had thought that maybe the training for a marathon may have been a factor, but I had been running long distance for over 15 years so there was nothing different. After the marathon I became very ill, cold, lifeless, couldn't eat - I was in a really bad place. I took myself to the GP and insisted on a full and complete blood test. Within days I received an emergency appointment to go to the hospital and they confirmed that I had Granulomas Liver disease. I was later diagnosed with Sjergren's.

It seems that Sjogren's and liver disease can sometimes come together so I would strongly advise that you go to your GP and insist that they test for everything. However, if you have been diagnosed surely they have done all the necessary tests. 

I have had many tests and have been on loads of medication which have finally improved my health, but no where near as much as when I personally changed my eating lifestyle. I am a vegetarian and have been for over 35 years, I am aslo a keen runner, yet my quality of life was begining to drain away, even with the medication. I decided to eradicate certain foods, I don't eat bread, pasta, rice, gluten, nothing complex or unknown passes my lips and I eat as much organic as I possibly can. I have to say, I feel great! I still very occassionally need a rest, but I feel pretty brilliant right now. 

Let me know what they have done for you, how you were diagnosed and what medication, if any, you are on and I will send you further info on what tests I had.

Wishing you the very best

Caroline

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.