I have so many questions still about hyperthyroidism and thyrotoxicosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I had hyperthyroidism and thyrotoxicosis diagnosed after the stillbirth of my first son 9 years ago. Carbimazole was horrific and I ended up having a full thyroidectomy 7 years ago. Ever since my immune system has been shot and has never recovered. Is this usual? I am so sensitive to the thyroxine I will go under active with the slightest bit of stress then 25mcg once a week will end up sending me over active again once the stress has subsided meaning I go back on beta blockers to stop the shakes and I’m averaging 4 or 5 episodes per yer (resulting in the usual anxiety and depression that goes along with it) I’m at my wits end with it all. Does anyone have any advise? Hashimoto was never mentioned but Graves was ruled out. Xx 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The bouncing back and forth is common with Hashimoto patients as is the sensitivity to prescribed medications whether it be thyroid hormone blocking drugs like Methimazole or thyroid hormone replacement drugs like Levothyroxine.   You may want to get tested for your Total Carnitine and Free Carnitine levels, your Vitamin D and Magnesium levels and if deficient take these supplements as well as your meds.   You might also want to investigate more natural thyroid replacement meds like Armour or add T3 to your T4 meds in the form of Cytomel which is a prescription T3.  One lady I know with Hashimoto's was able to balance her hormones on 3,000 mg of Regular L-Carnitine a day alone but take it only if you are deficient in it and if you are hypo right now, I would only take the lowest dose of 500 mg.  If you are hyper, then 3,000 mg.  Probiotics like Acidophilus is good to take for a healthy gut.

• Posted

Hi Zoe, what do you mean by my immune system has never recovered? Is your blood count abnormal?

Regarding Thyroxine, are you getting hyperthyroid after increasing your dose by 25mcg per week?

Is it possible that during stressful periods you change your eating habits which might impair the absorption rate of Thyroxine?

• Posted

I to have been told I have graves but was taken off carbimazole after suffering with mouth ulcers...my thyroid reading went ok and come off meds but was advised by consultant in 50 o/o of people it comes back that was last year and I think it is happening...she told me I have one of two choices have thyroid removed or iodine treatment. ...I'm still wating for appointment for blood test I don't really like the choices I've been given either...so confused right now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.