I have some very painful sores/ulcers in my mouth.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have one large very painful ulcer just where the tonsil and tongue meet and several smaller ones on the palate above the uvula (dangly bit), also, the palate surrounding the ulcers is reddened. I have booked an appointment with the doctor, but I wondered if anyone could clarify if these might be Lupus related?

In the last two years I have had a variety of weird rashes pictures of which I have been able to show to the Rheumatologist, he has confirmed that these are undoubtedly autoimmune. Still taking the hydroxychloroquine and generally things have been good as far as the autoimmune situation is concerned. My main problem at present is trigeminal neuralgia which is just about under, almost, control! But these ulcers are becoming more of a problem.

Any ideas or suggestions you lovely people?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with SLE in 2003. I get terrible ulcers in my mouth, on my soft palate, on the inside of my lips and on my tongue. Mine are like craters and not like the normal small ulcers people suffer with.  I believe this is a auto immune thing.  I feel your pain as I am unable to eat, drink or brush my teeth when I have them and the pain is unbearable. Just for info, I buy Anbesol liquid which is the only thing that numbs them enough in order to eat or drink. The directions is to dab it on using a cotton bud. Mine are that painful I can't use that method. I take a little bit in my mouth and swill it round and gargle with it until I am suitably  numb, then I spit it out. They hang around longer than 'normal' ulcers too!

• Posted

Thank you,

I managed to get some Difflam which has helped as has Ibuprofen. I did a bit of research on ulcers in SLE and it would appear that ulcers in this area of the mouth are commonly associated with SLE, so I am feeling reeaaally good about it!! 😁

I'm due to see my Rheumatologist next month so have taken some photos to show him and will discuss it with him. I will ask about the product you mentioned.

Thanks again!

• Posted

I'm pleased you have found something that helps. Difflam did nothing for me unfortunately. Yes, enquire about Anbesol, don't know where I'd be without it. I can't take any NSAIDS because if IBD. I hope you're feeling better. 

• Posted

Thanks,

I found out today that my nephew has been plagued with mouth ulcers too, but I suspect his are related to poor oral hygiene!! 22, living alone in South Africa and poor! He's back home now and has some antibiotics so hopefully he will feel better soon too. 🤗

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.