I have Stage 4 OA in knee

Posted , 13 users are following.

I was diagnosef with OA of the knee  when i was in my 40's and more recently found through an x-ray report it's now considered to be Stage4 severe, It has locked whilst walking or  when standing after sitting and vice versa in the past, though i'm not in constant pain , but certain movements of the joint cause very sharp breif pain, the joint is worn and unstable, to add to this i also have OA in my oposite knee that isn't severe, and in my forefoot, and  it's starting in my hands ,though not sufficient to show on an x-ray, but the hands can be painful  sometimes resulting in me having to drop what i'm holding because of the pain

I don't wish to take NSAIDS due to the side effects , i have tried codine but it doesn't really help, Due to not being as active dur to my OA  i have gained several stone in weight and this is having an impact on my general health IE High BP which has reached Stage2 levels, (no medication) as by a small change in diet i lost a small amount of wieght and BP reduced to Stage 1 levels

I have been out of work for some time in part due to my heath issues even getting to and from the work place everyday would become an issue at sme point , Due to my age i'm not keen on having surgery yet,as it's not something that i would wish to repeat , i have seen the MCAS ES physio , who's opinion was i need a Full knee replacement , which i rejected due to the above reasons, I may ask about the lubricating Acid type injections  they unlike the steriod injections don't speed up the errosion of the caritlage , my solutuion would be this and a knee brace  until such a time having surgery would outlive me

1 like, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

If you are based in UK look into Access to work, goverment help to get into or stay in work if you have a condition which could stop you. I thought I would have to give up, but work suggested ATW - I get transport (taxi) too and from work daily paid for. I have to make a small contribution at the month but it's been a god send to me. My knees are done for too - feel like my life is over at 45...Literally feeling your pain 

• Posted

I have stage 4 bone on bone OA

I was told by an accredited HSS Doctor that I need partial knee replacement

I did stem cell therapy 2 years ago in Florida

I walk with just about no pain at all

I can't run but I do many types of exersise without any any issues

It's a great option and for many like myself the results are working .. It's just awesome !!!

Thankfully I found out about this procedure before ripping out my knee and no longer having that option available

Good luck in your journey to get back to living ...

Pain free

• Posted

great news Keith. How many injections did it take?

take care and continue youe life without the pain.

• Posted

I did 1 stem cell treatment in which they took bone marrow and fat and PRP and all of those were injected back into my knee (very painful for a few days) but all worth it get results...Then I followed up with 4 additioanl PRP shots each one 1 month (4-5 weeks) apart

I started Aug 2015 and finshed in 12/2015 and all good. This year I have started working out trying to build more muscle in my core and leg.

I had pretty severe atrophy set in .. My OA leg is still 2+ inches smaller then my other leg... trying to get that more balanced.

Thanks

Keith 

• Posted

Keith,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I am impressed with the outcome you had with PRP.  

I know now that with time you will get the muscle back in your leg,  it takes time.

I have read clinical studies that in most cases PRP has a better outcome for minscus tears than TKR. DEpending on how much damage from OA has done can help OA in the knee.your testimony gives me the courage to give it a try. 

Take care keep riding a bike will build up muscles as my doc always said keep it rollin.

Hope xxx 👍

• Posted

I have 3-4 stage OA in the right knee and and started on left knee too. and I am scared to death to do knee replacement. What other option can I get in order to cope with daily life?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.