i have sufferd from lack of sleep for twenty years,the d...

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have sufferd from lack of sleep for twenty years,the doctors used to give me dreadful pills that ended up down the loo, weladorm filled me with wind, anything with antihystimine in it had the opp effect made me wide awake, they gave me anatriptilin once - i gave them hell, they were nasty, i slept on them for two nights but did not feel good in the day, like a zombie. the next thing was zopiclone about three years ago and great - they were perfect - i woke in the morning as fresh as a daisy. after a time i had to take two 7.5mil - the doc was ok about it as he understood my problem. i moved house and my new doctor let me have two a night as he had read all my notes and agreed. we moved again and i have a new doctor who has instructed i only get one a night and have to only get 14 nights at one time. so i take two at night as one is a waste of time with no effect, and spend the next two weeks without sleep. they try to tell me i am depressed, i am not depressed. They gave me some dreadfull pills to take which went down the loo, why can they not leave me as i was? now i am suffering more than ever. ps. i did purchase a pack from the internet, cost a fortune. at one point i got a private prescription and the chemist charged me £4.28 for 28, when i get my two weeks worth off the doc i pay £6 odd for 14. i think it is time the pills were licenced for two a night and not one, and the doc should listen to us and not play god. i was given a sleep diary can you believe, waste of time.

[i:40aa3bbb21]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:40aa3bbb21]

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

yes i agree i have been on zopiclone now for 10years at one point i was be prescribed 3 7.5mg and 1 3.75mg a night i am now on 18.75mg a night and i am finding it very difficult coping with this dose i wish it available over the counter as somtimes my gp does not seem to understand my addiction to it

[i:62568fb6d0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:62568fb6d0]

• Posted

Hi,I am taking 2 and I am still not sleeping.I am getting worried as my Doc. say I should not take them as they are addictive.

He will only prescribe 28 per month,I buy the rest off the net.I am struggling to sleep on 2.

Any one HELP.

Thans Jean.

[i:5239a49d37]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5239a49d37]

• Posted

i have the same problem, i have been put back down to 3.75 per night and they do not work, i spend the second half of the month awake smokeing cigs and feel this is more harmfull than a good sleep, they are happy to give me my h.r.t even as it has been linked to cancer. i went to india for holiday and walked in to the chemist and said do you sell zopiclone, yes they said 50 pence for 10. on line they cost a fortune, doctors do not like you to tell them what is best for you:headhurts:

[i:cb6bea9b45]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:cb6bea9b45]

• Posted

i totally agree with you - i suffer something terrible with anxiety, i've had a rough few years and i've just started my own business, i'm living on a shoe-string to get this business up and running - i'm a born worrier but i'm not depressed, my doctor is very very pleased to offer me AD but I'M NOT DEPRESSED - all i need is a sleep, my doctor prescribes me 6 3.5mg of zimovane - they do nothing except take away the butterflies for 5 minutes at night. i can cope with the anxiety in the daytime, but i wish they'd listen to me and give me a full month of 7.5 mg so i dont have to keep going back and forth.

why dont doctors listen to us? why are they always happy to tell up we're depressed or have IBS - we just want to sleep - for me, by having a zimovane, i can look forward to a few hours without these nasty butterflies - absolute bliss

oh and never ask doctors for anything for anxiety because now we're just given leaflets telling us to deal with it or suggestions of AD's because you could be depressed :headhurts:

[i:2b9436786b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2b9436786b]

• Posted

i agree i do not like my doc if once a year i get a chest infection i know that amoxilian clears it up so that is what i ask for, oh no have these a week later im back, then they say we will try amoxillian, we know what our body works with, i tryed some over the counter sleeping pill and it was the worst night ever, i was drowsey the next day, somex i did not sleep, my doc still gives me 3.75 mills of zopiclone and it will not work, so i am now going to get some of the net, i once got a private perscription, and the cost of 2x7.5 from the chemist was £8.40 for two packs, on hol in portugal they were £3 for 12, why are we being ripped off on the net, why do docs say i am depressed when i have two much life in me, i am 50 and went absaleing last week i am not depressed i am like a spring chicken, i stay awake all night if i have no zop, antidepressents suck i do not want them all i want is a good nights sleep, i can only do this with zop why do they not listen.

[i:b4c85429cb]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b4c85429cb]

• Posted

i was put on zopiclone nearly 7yrs ago for insomnia and i cannot sleep without it . i have had it reduced to the lower dose but could not sleep so iwas put back on the 7.5mg i s a very adictive drug and i found out it has a few side affects but it works for me
  • Posted

[quote:49f284db2e=\"L.\"]i totally agree with you - i suffer something terrible with anxiety, i've had a rough few years and i've just started my own business, i'm living on a shoe-string to get this business up and running - i'm a born worrier but i'm not depressed, my doctor is very very pleased to offer me AD but I'M NOT DEPRESSED - all i need is a sleep, my doctor prescribes me 6 3.5mg of zimovane - they do nothing except take away the butterflies for 5 minutes at night. i can cope with the anxiety in the daytime, but i wish they'd listen to me and give me a full month of 7.5 mg so i dont have to keep going back and forth.

why dont doctors listen to us? why are they always happy to tell up we're depressed or have IBS - we just want to sleep - for me, by having a zimovane, i can look forward to a few hours without these nasty butterflies - absolute bliss

oh and never ask doctors for anything for anxiety because now we're just given leaflets telling us to deal with it or suggestions of AD's because you could be depressed :headhurts:

[i:49f284db2e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:49f284db2e][/quote:49f284db2e] :?:

• Posted

2 a night certainly worked better for me.

I told my doc that 1 a night is so weak that it's not worth taking.

I was also given anti-depressants which i was told would help with sleep ,but I became worse.

It seems to me that the ones they call addictive offer some help,and the ones i'm allowed to take are useless.

By the way,I don't find them addictive.Addiction is when you take them all day for no reason and no benefit

• Posted

I had a prescription for three months and found toward the end, they were becoming less effective. I also read some of the notes here of people's experiences and decided that I had to discontinue taking them.

Now, occasionally, I'll take one. However, I find for at least the next night, I have rebound insomnia.

I'm not sure I agree with the prior response on their definition of addiction. From all the posts I've read here, I think it's highly addictive for some people.

I'm back to trying relaxation techniques.

• Posted

I have just started to take 7.5mg of Zopiclone and do not find them very effective. I have been told not to take them for any more than one week a go. They are addictive, as some have already found and no one knows how much is needed for them to become addicted until it is too late.

[quote:84ffadc83f]Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:02 amPost subject:

2 a night certainly worked better for me.

I told my doc that 1 a night is so weak that it's not worth taking.

I was also given anti-depressants which i was told would help with sleep ,but I became worse.

It seems to me that the ones they call addictive offer some help,and the ones i'm allowed to take are useless.

By the way,I don't find them addictive.Addiction is when you take them all day for no reason and no benefit[/quote:84ffadc83f]

[b:84ffadc83f]Addiction [/b:84ffadc83f]

• noun: the fact or condition of being addicted.

[b:84ffadc83f]Addicted[/b:84ffadc83f]

• adjective: physically dependent on a particular substance.

Someone who is an addict may still have benefit or reason for what they are taking.

Someone who is addicted to Zopiclone may well benefit and have reason to take it, ie. It still sends them to sleep.

Addiction is complicated and everyone should avoid exposing themselves to the possibility of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.