I have suffered from otosclerosis and severe tinnitus si...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have suffered from otosclerosis and severe tinnitus since my late twenties (now in my mid thirties).

Both ears are affected with my right being substantially worse. I'm now down to 20% in the right ear and every day is a struggle - conversations, TV and most importantly work!

I've decided to have a stapedectomy as soon as possible and am trying to put together a list of potential surgeons.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

[i:4c2f925b81]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:4c2f925b81]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hope i can help - i had left stapedectomy 5 years ago - Mr Andrew Camilleri - ENT surgeon in south manchester - originally from Malta - fantastic - he has done 250 now and evidently its like most things in life - practice makes perfect - go for it and good luck and know exactly where you are coming from struggling with work, conversations - knocks your confidence for and people are generally very unsympathetic - the classic answer when you tellsomeone you have a hearing problem is "pardon! - i could swing for em I tell you.

Last week my boss who is also a surgeon - said "wheres my job plan" I thought he said " wheres the chocolate"!!!!! - hope that brings a smile and good luck with your op

[i:1b7becc94d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1b7becc94d]

• Posted

i am going to have stapedotomy on the 14th of july and i am very scared but i am also hopeful. I want to happen now the sooner the better. I you want you can give me your email adress and i will tell you how it went

you can write to me to ****

[i:b670a27c5c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b670a27c5c]

(Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.)

• Posted

Hi There,

Like most people here I've been contemplating for years the risks of Stapedectomy. The surgeon who first offered it to me is Mr. Brooks and I've been wondering if anyone out there has already been operated by him .....and how was it?

I believe he has and still performs the operation.

Mr. Brooks ENT surgeon at Royal National Ear & Throught Hospital King Corss London.:roll:

[i:ab7f016745]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ab7f016745]

• Posted

Hi, I'm replying to the person who's had Stapedectomy on July 14th as mentioned here above. How are you? Fell like writing about your operation? Also where and who operated you?

Look forward to your news and I hope you are doing well.

[i:5338dd3ca5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:5338dd3ca5]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.