I have suffered from PHN now for around 8 Years,I feel t...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered from PHN now for around 8 Years,I feel the pain now constantly at a low level even when in bed. The pain increases with stress or at the end of the working day (i work in the plastic toolmaking industry). Every evening the only way I can get relief from the pain is to wear no clothing above the waist and sit or lay under a quilt from the bed which I hold away from my body in order to keep the affected area warm.

I take Dihydrocodein and Citalopram daily. Although you state that antidepressants are only for the pain I find without them I get very depressed due to the constant pain on a daily basis. I can honestly say after the last 8 years that PHN has ruined my life and is the deciding factor on what I can do with my time away from work.

[i:68ea8073c1]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:68ea8073c1]

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to my world. Lyrics and rhyzolt. Is the best combo. Twice a day!
  • Posted

Welcome to my world. Lyrics and rhyzolt. Is the best combo. Twice a day!
    • Posted

I'm in your world! I take Gabapentin ands tramadol during the day, Elavil and clonazapam with the gabapentin at night. Still doesn't take away the pain, just helps me deal with it I guess. Is the lyrica better? What is Rhyzolt??
  • Posted

I am an 80 year male and have suffered from PHN for two years. The affected area extends from my right nipple, under my armpit and across my back to my spine. Anything touching the area lightly sets off severe pain as if I am being stabbed repeatedly with a needle together with a prickly pain as if I had dried thistles under my shirt.

I have tried all the usual painkillers and ointments non of which gave much relief but about six months ago a friend suggested that I try a compression vest. Following a lot of experimentation I eventually found a solution which has been a lifesaver to me. I am now able to do the shopping and go for walks etc. without much pain.

If you, or any other sufferers, are interested please email me and I will give you further details.

• Posted

Yes, I use a compression sleeve on my knee area and one on my ankle. Otherwise, I couldn't wear anything on my leg because of the pain. So it does help you function even if in a limited manner.
  • Posted

I know exactly how you feel.  It is a horrible life altering afliction that robs you of your ability to function in life and impacts your relationships so greatly.  It is hard to struggle with something that you know will not kill you but with never ending pain.  You try to convince your brain that the pain has no basis but that doesn't help.   jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.