i have suffered from prickly heat for many years i have ...

Posted , 2 users are following.

i have suffered from prickly heat for many years i have tried everything there is on the market. my doctor prescribed tablets for me a couple of years ago which were excellent however these have been taken off the market i am devestated! i go on holidays now and take an extra £50 for excess on my insurance i go straight to the doctors as soon as it comes and ask for a steroid injection within 24 hours it disappears and you are prickly heat free for the rest of your hokiday. the injection is not very pleasent to have as it is normally given in the cheek of your bum and it is numb for a few hours but it is worth it rather than PRICKLY HEAT! ruining your holiday.

[i:8c41349ef9]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:8c41349ef9]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Where do you havve the steriod injection, do you get it when you are abroad?

Rachel

[i:bcb4838543]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bcb4838543]

• Posted

Hi,

I have the same problems regarding prickly heat as you do! I too have to resort to getting the hydro-cortisone injection. It takes the rash and its effects away within 24hours! If the doctors abroad can do this simple injection why oh why cant the doctors give you it here the day before you go away??? People think its only a rash, whats the fuss about?? If they only knew the pain and discomfort this condition brings with it, let alone totally spoiling your entire holiday!! Come on GP's have a little sympathy:wink:

[i:690ab2de2c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:690ab2de2c]

• Posted

I have been taking antihistamines since March in the hope that this will alleviate my prickly heat. Unfortunately with the current heatwave I have developed prickly heat before venturing abroad this year. Whilst on holiday in Menorca I too had an injection. Within 18 hours my prickly heat had disappeared, mind you I did end up with raging diarrhoea for 12 hours however, this I was willing to put up with as it gave me complete relief for the rest of the holiday and the summer months. My only problem now is that my GP is unwilling to give me the steroid injection as evidence has shown that it may cause cataracts and thinning of the skin. His "useful" comments were to stay out of the sun and don't put sun cream on!! With the concerns over skin cancer I think this is a pretty stupid comment to make especially as I am due to go abroad in two weeks time! I don't suppose you know what the name of the steroid injection is do you as it was a few years ago that I had it!

[i:debb18a7d4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:debb18a7d4]

• Posted

Please please someone help me with some advice. I have been a serial tanner for many many years and always ascribed to the theory that one burn doesn't make a summer so I did it repeatedly year after year. I never had an issue and always enjoyed the red burn and satisfaction that I was going to be brown and feel happier and healthier for having a tan. HOWEVER the last two summers I have had intense agonizing prickly heat on my chest, nowhere else just my upper breasts and chest. No matter what I've tried, cream, lotions, Dettil Soap. Sensible tanning, everything.... I am still suffering.

My honeymoon to The Maldives was underwritten by a constant itch and a red rash and in prep for summer and trying to be a bit sensible I decided to try sun bed rather than baking as I generally do. After one 6 minute session today (with another 54 minutes paid for) I have now re emerged with the familiar itch and red chest tonight. I am gutted and feeling frustrated and devastated already that it's not summer yet and here we go again, besides taking up vampire tendencies and staying indoors all summer and never seeing a ray of sun can anyone Please Please recommend anything to give this the heave ho for once and for all. ? (I suffer mental health issues and it may sound shallow but the sun and the warmth make me feel so much better and I simply cannot stay indoors all summer as a bit part of my therapy (besides copious amounts of strong knock out meds) is to walk and be outdoors. Please help with any advice you can give me I am willing to try anything. Many thanks Cassie xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.