I have suffered with depression for 24 years

Posted , 4 users are following.

Like i have stated i have been suffereing/struggling with depression for 24 years and have since found out that my mum before she killed herself (i was 14 at the time and found her) had bipolar. My big sister has bipolar and It has been said by friends who know me that i too am showing signs of having it, I have done online surveys and they have come back possitive i have been to my gp and they deregard that bipolar even exists. I have anxiety and panic attacks as well and when i can not stop my head from trying to split me into a million peices i also self harm as a release. I have two children and although the thought of leaving them like i was left deters me i am scared a day will come and i really hurt myself please help is there anyway i can get an answer once and for all please. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Online tests unfortunately go for very little, the only proper qualified people who can diagnose are psychiatrists. I'm sure you know from your family that its quite a lengthy diagnosis. Bipolar is quite unpopular in diagnosis terms now, simply because the effects unless requiring hospitalisation can be treated generally in the same way as anxiety and depression. It really depends on who you get to see for a diagnosis. Don't bother with general doctors for mental health issues, they aren't qualified to deal in that area
    • Posted

I live in the uk and do not know who i should see or how i go about seeing them to be honest are you able to help me please?
    • Posted

First stage is just your normal doctor, tell them your worries and that you would like a referal to psychotherapy. They will talk to you and refer you to psychiatry if they think its warranted
  • Posted

I am so sorry to hear about finding your mother, what a horrible thing for a child to have to endure. I have also suffered from depression for several years and tho I don't think I am bipolar, I know the extreme suffering it can cause. Can you get refered to a proper pyschiatrist and see about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and possibly Anxiety? I will bet $10000 you have at least PTSD from your mother's passing. Thank you for sharing Tidgey
  • Posted

Hi I have bipolar and my doctor reffered me to the shrink I am having my second round of ect which worked for me 2yrs ago I also have a family and was terrified I was going to leave them you must get help and don't let your doctor put you off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.