I have suffered with hayfever since i was 7, i am now 36...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have suffered with hayfever since i was 7, i am now 36 and it isn't getting any better with age. i have tried all treatments except steroids. i find tablets and nose sprays work best. i suffer with all the symptoms but find them worse at dusk for some reason

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi there i have also suffered from hayfever from the age of about 9 and i am now 31 every year i have to see the doc i have tried all the medication going and i have found the normal stuff never works!! whe i was about 18 i was given the kenalog injection and it was fantastic and my symptoms were virtually gone but they stopped giving this due to the side effects so i was give a course of prednisarone i think thats how it is spelt and they work fab too so i can enjoy the summer months now also i have found a great doc who is willing to give the injection again yayyy ...

my symptoms got that bad that i cant see and i also get seasonal conjunctivitus with it so i have found the steroids to be a massive life changer for me i hope this helps xx

• Posted

Pollen is high at the moment, my hayfever is terrible, anyone the same?!!
  • Posted

Hi, I have suffered with hayfever since my teens and I'm now 38. I have tried every overcounter drugs which don't work. I have even had the Kenalog injection which was fantastic and stopped my symptoms completely for the summer. However, I have only had it 3 times in 12 years as it can't be givej in successive years as you build up a resistance to it. Most doctors nowadays don't like to give it as it is a strong steroid and there are side effects. Normally for the past few years I have used Nasonex which has been great but this year showed no signs of working. Went back to the doctor who gave me Fexofenadine Hydrochloride 180mg as well as my usual Nasonex. These are the only tablets I have ever had that genuinely work completely. I am now hayfever free and it feels amazing! I can not recommend them enough. You can't get them over the counter though so have to get a prescription but I would rather pay the extra than buy cheap meds over the counter that do not work. Hope this helps and good luck x
  • Posted

I have also been transformed on Fexofandine 180mg daily which I start taking in february right through to October. I have a serious tree pollen allergy to Silver Birch which has developed on to make me allergic to a lot of raw fruits and peanuts and wheat!! Awful. 

This year (2014) is the worst year I have had for some time. Even my tablets aren't doing their job... but I am perservering with them. 

Can't do nasal sprays - they just cause me huge problems!

Had rather too many Kenalog Steroid injections over the years but had no side affects so hence why I had about 7 ... yes they work but the long term side affects aren't great for osteoporosis I believe. 

ALso the Doc reckons that's why my immune system is hyperactive. Too many steroids!

You can't win - it will take time to find a good antinistamine. But my advice is go to Doc and ask about Fexofenadine. It has worked very well for me and means I don't need steroids. Which for me, is a good thing. 

Good luck!

Fx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.