I have suspected gallbladder stones. Can anyone help identifying symptoms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

for the past ten months I have started experiencing a gnawing/dull feeling right around the very bottom of my right side rib cage. It is not very painful although can be very annoying. Sometimes it radiates towards mid or upper back, yet again rather like a discomfort than pain. I have had my bloods and urine tests done all came back alright, bowel movement is alright. I am currently waiting for a scan, the doctor suspects gallbladder stones but I would like to ask you whether anybody has experienced anything like these and can somehow refer to what I just explained. There has never been anything wrong me my entire life, therefore I am freaking out!

Thank you in advance!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy,

i have had similar issues over the past 5 years or so with a dull ache under my right rib and sometimes going round to my back and under my shoulder just like you describe. When I first contacted my doctor she didn't seem too worried and said it might be indigestion related but then a couple of years later I had another episode and I had an ultrasound which found gallstones. i think with me they thought just wait and see what happens but i had another episode last year so they have referred me to the hospital. My doctor was pretty sure it was the gallstones playing up again so I am now waiting for an appointment. i find that if I cut down on the fatty foods I can keep it in check but will wait to see what the hospital says, whenever that might be.

Don't panic. Your doctor has got it taped for you. Take their advice as they are the experts.

Hope this helps.

Cathy

• Posted

I had exactly the same symptoms as you, though mine came on suddenly a few weeks ago and never went away. The pain was totally excruciating, as though someone had stabbed me under the ribs, through to my back, and was constantly twisting the knife. Unable to even get a video appointment with my doctor for several weeks and having a good idea of what the cause was after googling the symptoms, I paid for a private ultrasound. Sure, it cost money, but within literally 24 hours of finding a private clinic I had an appointment and then visual confirmation of gallstones. Now I am trying to see whether adjusting my diet will help me keep a holding pattern of bearable pain while I wait (still) for that initial telephone call from my doctor (which will be this Friday, so almost there) but I have cut a long process out already because I have a confirmed diagnosis already, so now my conversation with my GP will be about what we do about the gallstones, not about what MIGHT be wrong with me. Might be worth you doing the same?

• Posted

Definitely get scanned, but I did have some thoughts.

Gallstone attacks tend to be worse than discomfort. They tend to be described as "severe pain". Often they occur at night and can last hours. For me that fit perfectly, I also vomited heavily. Some say the pain is like childbirth and though I have never experienced that, it seems accurate.

Something to consider: gallstone attacks happen more when you have eaten fatty foods. Even things like cheese. Does your discomfort happen when you have eaten these types of foods?

Other things around that part of your body could also be a cause like your liver.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.