I have Talonavicular surgery here in a month was looking for and advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 25 and broke cracked all kinds of things apparently over a year to my navicular bone. I am very active and am terrified of the thought of not being able to run play and tech my son sports I once played. Anyone have or know anything on how mobile you are after this surgery? Or if jogging or running is even an option?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I don't know anything about your break but I suspect that you will be non weight bearing for some period of time.  Your age is certainly in your favor.  I would guess you will make a full recovery.  I dislocated and broke 3 ankle bones.  I was non weight bearing for 9 weeks.  I am 70 and was playing golf 5x a week prior to the injury.  I am almost 15 weeks post surgery and walking fairly well.  Perhaps someone in these discussions is more familiar with your condition.  If you are non weight bearing for some period of time I highly recommend renting a knee scooter in order to get around.

• Posted

Hey Carol I appreciate the response, my navicular bone has broken a few times and attempted to re heal itself. Not bad mouthing the doctor what so ever. But his bed side manners were a little poor. And he pretty much said surgery and that's it.

I guess what I'm looking for is my mobility post surgery. After 100% recovered. If there's anyone that has had their talus and navicular bone fused. And how mobile they are now after healing. Can they run jog things like that.

• Posted

I had TaloNavicular surgery 16 weeks ago. I had 10 weeks in a non weight berring cast. Six weeks tomorrow in a walking boot. But so far only walking on my heel. Tomorrow I see the dr and hope to get the ok to start walking normally. But I expect it to still b a process over a few more weeks. I fortunately have only two staples holding my two bones together.

Anyway my goal is to play golf, run after my grandchildren & walk three or four miles the days I don't play golf.

Sounds like u r strong, active & young which is all to your advantage in your healing proces. Listen to your dr, have patience. This is a long process, but remember your goal.

Karran

• Posted

Thank you karran, sounds like you are doing great! Sounds like your goal is something similar to mine other than maybe a little more active. Do you have any idea if a mile or two run/jog daily is possible after this surgery is a 100% healed?

I played a lot of sports in my day and I'm not looking to do anything extensive like that. Just a good jog daily and be able to run around in a field with my boys teaching them different sports.

• Posted

I have high hopes but I'm taking one step at a time. Before my surgery I had read about someone who was running after this surgery but he was no longer doing marathons as he had before....

So many things depend on your health, bones ... The whole healing process. I have gorgeous shoes and would like to b able to wear them again. But my priorities have changed. One step at a time.

If I may ask. What country r u living in...?

• Posted

Yes ma'am, I live in the USA more specifically Texas.

I've tried to find ppl that have recovered from this specific injury but have had little success finding the answerers I'm looking for. It also seems that this is a more common issue in an age group older than me.

• Posted

U r right & I am older. But my issue was caused by an auto accident when I was 18 and dis located all the bones in this foot. Now many years later I rolled my ankle which exasperated my need for TaloNavicular surgery. If u have any questions about things u might need once u r home, etc.

What support u need from your family.? Check on sick leave from your work? Can u work from home? There r a lot of things to get n order before your surgery. Ask me & I will help u if I can.

Karran

• Posted

Sorry to hear that, sounds like your doing pretty well now tho! Looks like the hard parts behind you.

I appreciate the offer. Yeah I've got most of my work issues resolved looks like I'll be out of work much longer than I'd like do to me working in construction. Thinking about taking a temp job at a desk as soon as I'm able. Then leave that job once I'm healed enough to preform my normal daily job. Idk how much assistance I'll need right after surgery but it looks like I may be staying with my parents for a few weeks till I can do things on my own again and tend to my son.

• Posted

16 weeks & no longer in a boot. But in a specific type of shoe that doesn't bend (flex) in the middle. Dr said the bones have not healed enough for that stress. But he assured me I will b able to walk normally & wear normal shoes again. I see him again in 5 weeks. He says that I am ahead of schedule but not to over do it. One day & 1/2 later I now know what he meant - the foot is very sensitive. After not walking for 4 months this is going to take some time to get used to.

U r going to b able to do all the things u ask about. One step at a time. U must have patience for yourself & your family.

Karran

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.