I have the symptoms of HFS

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 40 yo. I have not been diagnosed as of yet. I began having symptoms Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, while at work. About 9 am, I noticed that my left eye was smaller than the other. Then after seeing my patient, about an hour later, I noticed spasm under my left eye. I have had spasms before but this was different. After I finished seeing my patients for the day, about 3 pm, I noticed that my mouth was pulled to the left. I began to have some anxiety. So I checked my BP, of course it was elevated due to the anxiety. I said a prayer and I began to calm down. Later in the evening, I noticed that my cheek was twitching. I hadn't experienced any pain, so I decided to go to bed and get some rest thinking that it would be better in the morning. Unfortunately that didn't help. I just went on with my day trying not to think about it. Then I started thinking about the events that lead up to Friday. This week at work had been stressful because of the holiday. Then Thursday morning I woke up at 5 am and started cooking dinner. With that and my family and work the next day, I guess it was in overload mode. I looked up my symptoms online and I found that I more than likely have HFS. Saturday night while watching TV, I felt my lip and chin quivering. I looked in the mirror and my left eye, cheek, lip and chin were twitching. I've been reading everything I can trying to get an understanding. This blog has really been helpful and I thank you all for sharing your experiences with everyone. My plan is to schedule an appt with my physician tomorrow. Has anyone else had their symptoms progress this quickly, within 2-3 days?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tiffany, I've never heard of anyone else having HFS come on so quickly, mine took 2 years to morph from eye ticks to full blown HFS. I'm sure your doctor will shed more light, maybe just stress and you need a holiday (hopefully)

Good Luck

X

• Posted

Hi Tiffy2jw

Sounds like you've had a lot of stress!  HFS does not normally come on so suddenly and dramatically but that doesn't necessarily rule it out.  I hope that you don't have this condition, but, if you do, please be reassured that it's not life threatening and doesn't require urgent action.  It's one of those conditions that can be particularly bad one day and then not show itself again for a while.  My own stance was to 'wait and see' for a little while, just to get a handle on what was really happening.  If these symptoms do persist then it's a good idea, if you can, to get an MRI scan just to rule out other conditions which can cause spasms and quivering type sensations.  It may not necessarily prove that you have HFS but it will discount other things.  If you do turn out to have HFS then it's good to know that there is a 'band aid' and also a potential cure (when and if the time feels right).  Botox is the band aid and surgery the cure, but both need to be researched and considered carefully.  Hopefully your symptoms might calm down and allow you to just breath and take stock.  My advice would be 'don't panic' and just take one day at a time if you can.  Take good care and rest lots if this is possible. 

• Posted

thank you Roseann for the reassurance. I have been resting and will see my doctor as soon as possible. I really appreciate it.
  • Posted

Have your doctor also test all thyroid levels and antibodies . Hashimoto's thyroiditis Also causes facial spasms ... I have been on a gluten-free diet for three weeks now and symptoms are slowly improving but it takes 90 days to get out of your system. I suffered with the facial spasms for 80% of the past 15 months with no answer, my primary neurologist have been no help to me. Please keep us posted on any and all developments, this is how we will beat this annoying issue... also I tried magnesium , B12, electrolights, and a number of other vitamins. Currently I am taking a daily gummy vitamin that is gluten-free .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.