I have tightness in my sternum without the typical pain so much...am I alone in this?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

Back in January I was diagnosed with Costocondritis. I had just gotten over the worst and longest head/chest cold I'd ever had in my life which included a very bad cough. All my cold symptoms had gone away but I had the pain in my rib cage/back and serious pressure. The sensation of pressure and squeezing of my chest was almost worse than the pain. I was definitely worried about my lungs etc but after a chest x-ray and an EKG the Dr said he was pretty confident it was Costocondritis. I immediately looked it up and sure enough it sounded just like what I had. If it got too bad I'd just take an ibuprofen like the dr suggested (only a lesser dose because I reeeeeally don't like taking medicine). It didn't take too long before the symptoms lessened.

Since then I've had stress.... I've had a lingering problem since my bad cold which I've been fearful about and I finally went to the dr. She said it sounds like silent reflux (which is crazy to me since I've never in my life suffered from acid reflux or heartburn and I eat quite well etc). I was told to cut back on all the usual acid reflux causing things for a week and if that didn't work than to take over the counter antacids for two weeks....did I mention I hate taking medicine? Well, I haven't taken the medicine but I've done everything else and I still have the problem. I worry about it. You could say I stress out about it ...and all the what ifs. The reason I mention all this is because of the stress it's caused & because somewhere along the line I seemed to acquire this new symptom which is a strange feeling/tightness in my chest, right around my sternum that I don't believe is related to heartburn or anxiety...it's different...and it makes me worry more. Then I got a few pangs in my side etc. that reminded me of my Costocondritis and I thought...could it be? Could this pressure/tightness/weird feeling in my sternum be Costocondritis again? I hardly have any pain with it though, it's mostly just a weird feeling.

Basically, what I'm trying to figure out is: does anyone else with Costocondritis have the tightness and pressure without the pain so much? Or is it just me?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sarah so sorry to hear about your pain. I also followed the thread from Laura who said it was the worst pain since child birth. I caused mine in December following a injury while working out compounded by a chest infection. I was very low and in pain for about 3 months and researched on internet. Found details about a backpod and instructions from a New Zealand physio. It was expensive, £70, ordered on line, I live in England. I worked hard with it and have now been more or less pain free. I have been able to resume my activities, gardening, badminton etc. When I get twinges I use it and the pain goes. I do urge you to look it up on line. I also felt happier being able to do something positive towards my recovery. Prior to that all the resting, taking pain killers had made no difference over 2 months. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.