I have TN. How can I help with home remedies?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Okay so I am a 14 year old who is going through her GCSEs at school. Since I was 7 years old I have been having problems with my ears but it wasn't until I was 11-12 that it actually started developing into something more. So the doctors kept telling me I had an ear infection. So every month for 7 months I was told I had an ear infection every single month. And it got out of control. I was on amoxicillin for half of my life in 2016. So my doctor started to think more of it and sent me to the hospital where it was determined nothing was wrong with my ears. As I kept getting the ear pain they told me to ring back the hospital for a second opinion, which the doctor said in fact he doesn't think I have ever had an ear infection and it must be something else. He told me to book a dentist appointment and he made me an appointment with my GP so I could get a third opinion. My dentist asked me to keep a pain diary, which really helped me as I could see what ear it was mostly in and what time of the day it was most commen. In the end my dentist said it was nothing wrong with my jaw, or my teeth and she sent me home. When I went to see my GP he suggested what no other doctor had before....an MRI scan. So he booked an appointment for me to go to the hospital, where I had a blood test and she did an examination. She has now booked me for an MRI scan which is next Wednesday. The only thing is I won't find out my results until June.So the big question is... how can I cope in school with this awful condition? Should I tell a teacher about it? How can I cope when I physically cannot move in class? How can I get through my mock exams when I spend half of my time in pain? I have so many questions. It is just hard to get through school with this awful condition. I hate it. It is absolutely awful. And especially to a person who is in school and needs to consontrate on studying....

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Lucy,

I think the advice that you should show your parents this discussion is sound. Perhaps seeing that there are more folks like yourself might prompt your parents to take this much more seriously. There is a reason people call this a suicide disease and that nickname is based on empirical evidence: people kill themselves because of this. It's that serious.

I have, in addition to TN, Tourette's Syndrome. It first manifested when I was 7 years old. In case you don't know what that is, it's a neurological disorder in which a person has uncontrollable facial, body and vocal tics. My parents had NO IDEA what to do with me. While it was known disorder at the time, it was not as well known as it is now. I was not officially diagnosed until I was 20 years old. So for 13 years, I had to endure the humiliation and indignation of looking like a loon to everyone around me. I still do to this day, but when someone asks me if I'm cold, I can say no, I have Tourette's. My point in telling you this is you must make your parents aware of the issue now before it gets worse. Don't let it go a decade without help. Don't even let it go until June. I feel for you so much because I can remember myself at your age and I can imagine how helpless you must feel. Keep plugging away at them and keep visting us here. We have your back even if no one else does.

• Posted

Thankyou so much I love talking to all of you kind people and it is easy to talk to you when I know you are going through the same thing as me. I don't feel confident yet to talk to my parents about it. But probaly will after tomorrow (my MRI) I am very nervous for tomorrow but hopefully nothing else shows up more serious. X

• Posted

Good luck tomorrow! We will all be thinking of you. Fingers crossed it goes really well and they can sort out your pain.

Paula x

• Posted

Good luck.  I hope your MRI shows up clean, although sometimes you wish it would show something that could be remedied.  Anyways, I'll keep you in my thoughts.  

• Posted

Lucy, we are all thinking of you today. I imagine you have had the MRI at this point (it's 745AM on the east coast of the US) so hopefully you can let us know how it went. I knew the results of all of my MRI's immediately as they give us a coy of it to take home and view on a computer and my doctor would call me within 48 hours to tell me his take on it. I certainly hope you get some news quickly.

• Posted

Thankyou, I've just had my MRI. it was awful! It was so noisy and gave me a headache. 25 minuets I was in there! But hopefully they get to the bottom of it. Thanks everyone!

• Posted

Ooh well done sticking it out! They are noisy but hopefully they gave you some headphones with good music playing? All I remember focussing on was my knobbly knees sticking up, quite embarrassing.

Paula x

• Posted

I had no headphone...just ear plugs so it protected my ears. I just had to lay very still

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.