I have to get a cast put on my ankle. What clothes should I wear to the hospital?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently injured my ankle while I was out for a run.

It was painful at first, but the pain subsided after a while. To be safe, I went to the hospital to get it checked out.

They examined my ankle and did some xrays. Initially, they said they couldn't see anything wrong.

They sent me home and told me to rest.

The next day I got a call from the hospital. They told me they'd re-examined my xray and said that they think I might have a small hairline fracture. They want me to come back in, and they said they're going to put my ankle in a cast.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what I should wear to the appointment. What type of trousers/footwear would be best for getting a cast? Will I need to take anything off or will they work around me? Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Well you only need one shoe on your uninjured foot so any sort of footwear.Try to wear some old trousers that they can cut to make the cast easier to put on.They may have to be totally cut off when you get home or you will have to live in them. When you get home try cheap/old baggy shorts or cheap baggy track suit bottoms but be prepared to cut them to suit.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Marina! I have to make my way in for the appointment, so I was planning on wearing my normal runners and socks. Will they be okay? I also have a pair of stretchy tracksuit style shorts. I'm hoping these will fit over the cast and I won't have to take anything off at all.

• Posted

Normal runners are fine. You wont be wearing a shoe on the plastered foot. Maybe you have had it done by now?

• Edited

Yes I have had the plaster put on. I wore loose trousers so I was just able to roll them up over my knee. Unfortunately I was told my feet needed to be bare so my socks and shoes were taken off (that was all that was removed though).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.