I have to have a hysterectomy, anterior and posterior vaginal repair and a bladder repair

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone else had all of these operations at once? I hope to have a vaginal hysterectomy but I think the ovaries and tubes will be taken out by laparoscopy. I also have to have an anterior and posterior repair of the vagina and a repair to the bladder. I'm worked about the pain afterwards and going to the toilet after! Anyone else had all of these done??

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela, I had all except the posterior repair. Vaginal and laparoscopy. I didn't have a lot of pain afterwards, I found it bearable. Getting the bowel working again was difficult. I used enemas in the end but it wasn't easy. My surgery has been successful, no more aches, no rushing for the loo in a hurry. It takes quite a while to get over the surgery. Tiredness is an ongoing issue for a number of months. It's also normal to feel a bit lumpy for a while after too due to scar tissue and other organs, tissue being swollen due to being pushed around. Best of luck! 
    • Posted

Hi carolannfud I had a bladder and bowel repair 9 days ago and although I am now pain free (couldn't believe how painful it was) I don't feel right inside yet. I had a bladder repair and hysterectomy 10 years ago and can't remember how long it took to feel ok again. I have been going for short walks and doing the pelvic floor exercises as instructed and I know I still have stitches inside but I still feel like I have the prolapse (that sort of heavy dragging feeling in the vagina) is this what you meant by lumpy ? I have had no problems with bowel movements as I also have Crohn's disease and can poo like crazy ! Am I expecting too much too soon I really don't want to go through that op again !
    • Posted

Yes,thats exactly it - things just don't feel right inside but all that changes as time goes by.
  • Posted

Thank you Carolannfud. It's great to hear from someone who has had this! How long will it take before I feel "normal"?

• Posted

Give yourself at least three months. Each day you feel a little better and have a bit more energy but it really does knock the stuffing out of you. Nana naps will become your norm lol! 
  • Posted

I am a private tutor who teaches in my own home. Do you think I will need a few weeks off? Also how long before I could swim?
  • Posted

I think you will probably need at least six weeks off. Do you sit down when tutoring? How many students each day? Don't know about swimming. I went back to the gym five months postop but started walking the first week after surgery. 
  • Posted

I had anterior and posterior repair last October and Sacrohysteropexy laparoscopy and TVT two weeks ago. I didn't have much pain either (I took Ibroprofen) and my bladder and bowel are working fine. After some discussion about the risk involved in these operations, I decided to put my faith in the surgeon.  I'm glad I did!  I find squatting makes a bowel motion easier or put a childs footstool in front of the toilet to raise your knees higher than your tummy.  Like Carol below, I am tired and lumpy.  I had the operation on a Thursday and was sent home Friday; Saturday I made a short walk to the paper shop and increased the walking a little each day.  I was back driving after eight days and went Ceroc dancing last night! Good luck!
  • Posted

Thank you carol1951 what is tvt? How long was it before you felt normal? I teach 4days a week at home to one pupil at a time, sitting down. How long do you think I will need to take off?
    • Posted

Angela you could probably resume tutoring pretty quickly then. You will just need to rest after. Your body starts to ache as soon as you do too much so you'll know pretty quickly if you've overdone it. 
  • Posted

Carol1951 did you have mesh put into your vagina? Did you have any preoblems with this?
    • Posted

I agree with Carol; you will know if you overdo it, the main thing is not to lift for six weeks. I've had no problem so far with the tape. My surgeon was reassuring regarding the risks.
  • Posted

Hi Angela,

I have decided against any bladder repair due to complications that can arise with mesh. I recommend looking at the thread on this site started by lynne53651; all the ladies on that thread have shared their experiences and it is very informative. Lynne also has some great advice as a sufferer herself.

Hope you find some help there,

Blessings,

Lesley

• Posted

Hi I am 10 weeks post op and had Anteria and posteria repair with tvt fitted all at once, I can't lie for 2 weeks it was very painfull but now all is ok went back to work yesterday and apart from aching in the lower regions I'm fine and been given a new lease of life.

xxx

• Posted

Well I've had the vaginal hysterectomy and anterior and posterior vaginal repairs. It was two weeks yesterday. I've had a lot of pain and no painkillers worked for me! Then I took an infection and took strong antibiotics for a week. I thought I was better on Monday and started doing little things around the house. Then yesterday I had to lie down all day! I've no energy and no appetite! I hate not being able to do the normal things around the house.  I started getting really severe pains in my tummy where the womb and ovaries were and it seems to be wind. Can anyone recommend anything for wind?
    • Posted

Peppermint tea worked wonders and avoiding foods that create gas did the trick for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.